Dat I.D

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Hi. yes i realise that now. I have been in touch with someone selling widebar at 7". He wants £250 a fish!! I have a group of 5 so have decided to keep them and grow them on. Out of interest, what is the diference between wide bar and 3 bar? The guy i have been in touch with told me he has some wide bar and some 3 bar for sale, BUT he won't tell me what the difference is. I assumed 3 bar were the same as wide bar. Am i missing something or being stupid?
Thanks
No disrespect but there's no way you'll get a true Widebar (Datnioid pulcher) at that price. No way. Just search this forum and you'll see why. 3 Bar is a variant of an Indo Tiger (D. Microlepis) that's all and that's crazy money for one at that price/size.

Mark my words you'll be ripped off. You'll struggle to find a Widebar for sale anywhere in the UK. Last one I saw for sale was a grand or more. They're like gold anywhere in the world let alone the UK. Just search the forum a bit and you'll appreciate what I'm saying-I'm certain other regulars on here will back me up.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Rob is spot on.

Ibe seen alot of 3-4 inch 3 bar tigers going for 5 times or more than what they are worth.. on ac recently.

Re your silver tiger.. they will livr fine in FW... but I think they do not reach full size or potential size of 12 inch.
Ive never seen a 12 inch silver in uk for 8 yrs of keeping tigers. Most are sold before they get to 8 inch..

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
No disrespect but there's no way you'll get a true Widebar (Datnioid pulcher) at that price. No way. Just search this forum and you'll see why. 3 Bar is a variant of an Indo Tiger (D. Microlepis) that's all and that's crazy money for one at that price/size.

Mark my words you'll be ripped off. You'll struggle to find a Widebar for sale anywhere in the UK. Last one I saw for sale was a grand or more. They're like gold anywhere in the world let alone the UK. Just search the forum a bit and you'll appreciate what I'm saying-I'm certain other regulars on here will back me up.
Appreciate what you are saying and i would never expect to get a Pulcher for less than hundreds of pounds. This much i already know. I just wanted to know why the guy who is offering me dats is stating he has wide bar and 3 bar? I thought they would be the same. £250 is way too much for me to pay for a wide bar. I already have 5 so will be growing them on and watching their development.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Rob is spot on.

Ibe seen alot of 3-4 inch 3 bar tigers going for 5 times or more than what they are worth.. on ac recently.

Re your silver tiger.. they will livr fine in FW... but I think they do not reach full size or potential size of 12 inch.
Ive never seen a 12 inch silver in uk for 8 yrs of keeping tigers. Most are sold before they get to 8 inch..
Thanks Ade. Agree that standard wide bars appear to be fetching BIG money, i guess this is due to the high price of Pulcher?
I will keep the silvers i have and see how big i can get them. They have gone from 1.5" babies to 5"+ in under a year.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Thanks Ade. Agree that standard wide bars appear to be fetching BIG money, i guess this is due to the high price of Pulcher?
I will keep the silvers i have and see how big i can get them. They have gone from 1.5" babies to 5"+ in under a year.
They grow quick up to about 8 inch . Then slow right down. And just get fatter and thicker.
Your tank is big and water q must be good based on your rays growth and condition... so will be interesting to see how big the silvers get in your care.;)

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
I could never get silvers very big, they would seem ok, then all of a sudden go downhill.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I love how the head slopes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store