Dat or Leaf fish?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
mmm risky bis buying fish when you dont know that they are you are lucky its a leaf even better if it was a dat real unlucky if you got a nile perch buy mistake

JCA

Candiru
MFK Member
May 12, 2006
Washington, US
T1KARMANN;602558;602558 said:
mmm risky bis buying fish when you dont know that they are you are lucky its a leaf even better if it was a dat real unlucky if you got a nile perch buy mistake
no worries lol i bought him hoping for either a leaf or a dat. if it was a nile perch i would have taken him back instantly telling them it was a mislabel and i didnt want it anymore. anyway...there seems to be a little confusion as to exactly what it is so ill try to get some better pics here in a bit. thanks everyone though!

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Are they from the same family as Dats? They have the same body shape.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
ewurm;602816; said:
Are they from the same family as Dats? They have the same body shape.
No. Dats are in their own family, Datnioididae. Depending on whether its Polycentrus schomburgki or Polycentropsis abbreviata, it would be located in one of two families. South American leaffishes in the genera Polycentrus and Monocirrhus are in their own family Polycentridae. Asian and African leaffishes, including Polycentropsis and Nandus, are in the family Nandidae. All three families are in the same order Perciformes, but it's a huge order with everything from snappers (Lutjanidae) to cichlids (Cichlidae) to gobies (Gobiidae and Eleotridae) to gouramis (Osphronemidae and Anabantidae), etc.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Amazing resemblance in body shape. How about keeping a Nandus with a Dat, I now want one. Also, they are in the same Order, but that looks to be a vastly different array of species, so really they are not related at all as far as taxonomy is concerned, correct?

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
leaf fish

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It's definitely some type of leaf fish, but I'm not sure which one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store