Datniodes Pulcher or Microlepsis

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
zhuangsw said:
is he like really black now?

yap, could be stressed out by the aro the other time. it it should go off soon.
btw, the way u describe his relationship witht he oscar is so sweet, hope they mate or something. haha

during the period when he was 4" to 16", was he stable? and how long did it take to grow from 4" to 16"?

LOL...my boyfriend said the same thing..."I wonder if they will mate?" I was like NO, they are 2 different species of fish! But anyway...
He was stable for like 2 years, he was fine...He took about, gosh, I can't recall how long I have actually had him for...But I know its been at least 3 years now, to get that big...He did just have a healthy growth spurt, he just passed up the Oscar...in girth and in length! He it becoming a true monster! Like I said, he eats like a pig...frozen krill, pelleted food (a hikari brand for carnivores) and once a month we put some feeders in there for them...

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
OH MY GOD !!! You've had a datnoid that was since 4" and now it is 16 inches!!! Remarkable I say because most of them (or the ones I had) died for unknown reason. The Dat I just bought was all black, then sometimes it would lighten up, then darken again. I think it's just morphing with colors. I don't understand it either, but if you've had that fish for more than three years, I don't think you are doing anything wrong....LOOKING are your collection, you have a nice variety....very nice....

As I look closely at the Dats eyes, I do notice a little bit of cloudiness but very faint. I am told that usually the high pH of the water causes this. I added aquarium salt, so let's see how it goes...if the eyes does not get better or clearer, I might have to get some medication....

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
jenBLKAROWANA said:
LOL...my boyfriend said the same thing..."I wonder if they will mate?" I was like NO, they are 2 different species of fish! But anyway...
He was stable for like 2 years, he was fine...He took about, gosh, I can't recall how long I have actually had him for...But I know its been at least 3 years now, to get that big...He did just have a healthy growth spurt, he just passed up the Oscar...in girth and in length! He it becoming a true monster! Like I said, he eats like a pig...frozen krill, pelleted food (a hikari brand for carnivores) and once a month we put some feeders in there for them...
wow a girl who keeps monster fish! your boyfriend is so lucky! i live in singapore, and its so damm rare for a girl to show any interest in fish, let alone keeping them.
but its cool of you to have that tiger for so long. try adding some ketapang leaves or blackwater extract, see if it helps calm them down?

Vince said:
OH MY GOD !!! You've had a datnoid that was since 4" and now it is 16 inches!!! Remarkable I say because most of them (or the ones I had) died for unknown reason. The Dat I just bought was all black, then sometimes it would lighten up, then darken again. I think it's just morphing with colors. I don't understand it either, but if you've had that fish for more than three years, I don't think you are doing anything wrong....LOOKING are your collection, you have a nice variety....very nice....

As I look closely at the Dats eyes, I do notice a little bit of cloudiness but very faint. I am told that usually the high pH of the water causes this. I added aquarium salt, so let's see how it goes...if the eyes does not get better or clearer, I might have to get some medication....
bro, some of my dats have abit of cloudy eyes once in a while, when you see that, immediately change your tank water, add abit of salt and if the water over at your place has high ph, add some ketapang leaves, or ketapang leaves extract or black water extract if you dont have excess to ketapang leaves over there..
they will get better on their own if you provide good water quality for them. dont worry. :cheers:

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
zhuangsw said:
wow a girl who keeps monster fish! your boyfriend is so lucky! i live in singapore, and its so damm rare for a girl to show any interest in fish, let alone keeping them.
but its cool of you to have that tiger for so long. try adding some ketapang leaves or blackwater extract, see if it helps calm them down?

bro, some of my dats have abit of cloudy eyes once in a while, when you see that, immediately change your tank water, add abit of salt and if the water over at your place has high ph, add some ketapang leaves, or ketapang leaves extract or black water extract if you dont have excess to ketapang leaves over there..
they will get better on their own if you provide good water quality for them. dont worry. :cheers:
Yep...I love to keep fish...We started with a little 55 gal...and then our oscars started to grow too big for that tank, so we went and got a 92 gal corner tank for them...We kept our 55 running...we then went and got a 125 gal...we just kept adding on! Now I want a 210 gal for our blk aro, he is fine in the 125, but bigger is always better! The only porblem we are running into is we need a bigger house! I also have a 30 gal, and a 12 gal, and a little 3 gal with baby water frogs...I have 2 lizard tanks...lol...I want to get another lizard for a spare tank I have sitting around. I have the fever! I can't stop!!! LOL

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
jenBLKAROWANA said:
Yep...I love to keep fish...We started with a little 55 gal...and then our oscars started to grow too big for that tank, so we went and got a 92 gal corner tank for them...We kept our 55 running...we then went and got a 125 gal...we just kept adding on! Now I want a 210 gal for our blk aro, he is fine in the 125, but bigger is always better! The only porblem we are running into is we need a bigger house! I also have a 30 gal, and a 12 gal, and a little 3 gal with baby water frogs...I have 2 lizard tanks...lol...I want to get another lizard for a spare tank I have sitting around. I have the fever! I can't stop!!! LOL
haha, thats cool. u share the same passion as ur guy..

now, do you have any sister or friends who love fish to intro to me? wahahah

marshy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Little Red Dot
zhuangsw said:

Brudder

My wife shares the same passion as me for Dats.
They're more precious to her than I feel towards them!
I even need to consult her in any attempt of sales of my Dats ok.

Lastly, she talks to all my Dats... I dun...

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
Just to add into the confusion, I've had a D. pulcher that has a tail stripe that's identical to that of a D. microlepis. With that said, I think the tail stripe identification method does not work 100% of the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store