Datnoid aggression/compatibility

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have a 12" NTT that I had in an admittedly very overstocked 120 gallon. When I took a couple fish out, the stock left was the NTT, a 9" flagtail, 7 3-7" clown loaches and a 12" L-600 pleco. The dat then became aggressive toward the flagtail. I borrowed a tank from a friend and put the dat in it temporarily. If I was to put the dat back in and take out the flagtail, would he just turn his focus to the loaches?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Flagtailscan be very aggressive the tiger may have been the aggressor when the lights where out and keeping at bay during the day

I have seen flagtails kill aros barbs rays birch
Don let the sweet looks fool you flagtails have a massive front tooth like a puffer

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Flagtailscan be very aggressive the tiger may have been the aggressor when the lights where out and keeping at bay during the day

I have seen flagtails kill aros barbs rays birch
Don let the sweet looks fool you flagtails have a massive front tooth like a puffer

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Definitely not debating that flagtails can pick on others. But in this case I only ever saw the dat be the aggressor. The dat never bothered the flagtail until I took the pike cichlid and severum out. Once it was just the two of them left around the same size, the flagtail would simply swim by the dat's line of view and would be chased down for it. Not sure if it's the silver dollars, the Oscar, or the combination of the two, but all's well now. From time to time the Oscar will flare its gills at the dat. But other than that there is little to no aggression for now.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Hope you grow out that ntt further. He looks great. Is he a big eater? They'll be perfect in the 210 together, but you got some time I think if that's needed. If they grow much bigger in the 120, I would lightn the décor some for swimming space for the dat & $. Loaches and plec should not mind much

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Hope you grow out that ntt further. He looks great. Is he a big eater? They'll be perfect in the 210 together, but you got some time I think if that's needed. If they grow much bigger in the 120, I would lightn the décor some for swimming space for the dat & $. Loaches and plec should not mind much
I've grown the dat out from 1 1/2". So most likely I'll have him to grow out awhile longer;) I feed him about 15-20 massivore pellets a day, 6 days a week. I agree the 120 should be ok for awhile longer. But man it sucks having a bigger tank and not having it set up lol! But, all in due time. Having a friend that I trust to babysit my pleco if needed is nice peace of mind. Current filtration is 2 AC110 and a marineland C-360. The canister is nothing but bio media. I have been tossing around the idea of pulling out my pleco's driftwood cave, but my pleco keeping instincts keep telling me he needs his cave. And the dat seems to like taking refuge behind the driftwood as well.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
All gd stuff man! NTT will most likely be my next dat after my ST passes some day. Really looking forward to growing a monster NTT. AC filters are great and I use them on my tanks 125gal & smaller, but the 210 im sure you know you will need to step up to more canisters or a wet dry maybe. Awesome stock, I love it. Keep it going

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
All gd stuff man! NTT will most likely be my next dat after my ST passes some day. Really looking forward to growing a monster NTT. AC filters are great and I use them on my tanks 125gal & smaller, but the 210 im sure you know you will need to step up to more canisters or a wet dry maybe. Awesome stock, I love it. Keep it going
It's taken me about 5 years to get him to this size. But that is with about the first two years without pellets. Only shrimp and bloodworms. Definitely rewarding to grow out a slow grower like an NTT though! The 210 came with an Eheim 2260, so that will be incorporated into the 210. In the meantime i'm using some of the ceramic media that came with it to fill up the C-360.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store