Datnoid stability mystery

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I agree with others, there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to dats. I have seen adult, single, dominant, dats, in a large mixed community remain unstable. From a previous thread on this subject....

I think that both camps are correct, that being the colors seen in a "stable" dat, and an "unstable" dat, can be caused by the same environmental triggers. Stimuli that may frighten or stress one fish, may trigger dominance or aggressive territorial behaviour in another.

The pigment cells in fish that are involved with color changes are called chromatophores. These cells can be altered due to morphological changes in the fishes environment such as background and/or substrate color, or from physiological responses to aggression, stress, etc.

In a stressed fish plasma cortisol levels increase, and cortisol levels are how researchers typically determine stress levels in fish when exposed to various conditions. Not all species, and perhaps even individual specimens within each species will react exactly the same to the same environmental or physiological stimuli.

As an example, in Nile tilapia a blue background causes an increase in aggression, where as a blue light causes a calming, protective role in stress in this species.

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/bjmbr/v34n8/4190.pdf

Fanta (16) argues that a blue background increases aggression in the Nile tilapia, and suggests that this color is not adequate for holding containers for this species. Conversely, the present data show that blue light has a protective role against stress for this same species

Hormonal color changes could explain why with an increase in age/size dats often become more stable, and tend to show what most would consider dominant coloration, vs camouflage (sub-dominant concealment) vs younger, less mature dats kept under the exact same tank conditions. In some tanks fish take on more dominant, territorial behaviour early on in life, even as small juvies, and this could also very well be sex (and hormone) related.

None of the above is outside the norm for many species of fish that are kept in captivity.

Clearly there is no question that some dats kept in a stressful environment appear to be what many refer to as "stable", displaying dominant colors, and there are dats that kept in these exact same conditions appear to be "unstable", as in displaying dark camo/concealment stress pattern & coloration.

Perhaps some fish fall under the "fight" response, and some fall under the "flight" response. Same stimuli, but opposite reaction based on size/sex/dominance/tank mates/overall health etc-etc.

IMO the reason for no real definitive answer to the "stability" question, is that no single answer is correct for all fish, of various age/size/sex, kept under all of the various conditions possible in captivity.

This is why in Indonesia hobbyists will state: That is the challenge of keeping tigers - swee swee kim kim (stable) one moment and then suddenly "orh-orh". (black/unstable)

With datnoids, this just seems to be part of the enigma and challenge that makes keeping them so interesting.

Reactions: eeJamBOYan

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Thanks RD. I didn't realize that there was basically an identical thread since the search function isn't that good on the mobile app. If the mods wants they can combine this with the other thread or just delete it

jonneh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2013
Singapore
This is an interesting thread with many opinions. I have 8 dats on my side and they're always semi-stable. Many friends actually suggest that it's the tank mates and not the environment that causes stability

jonneh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2013
Singapore
After reading everyone's opinion, I guess it could be environment, tank mates and other factors that causes stability, and I guess that's why keeping datnoids are such a challenge and we can have such high satisfaction keeping them, happy keeping datnoids everyone!

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
We should sticky a thread like this bc we all can read and gather our theories and come to a conclusion for ourselves

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
I never kept a single IT but I´ve kept - in different periods - groups of 3, 5 and 7.

- The 3 were already adults and I kept them alone in a tank for a while with sand and driftwood. They were - most of the times - stabel. But changed without notice (as dats do). However, I noticed that the bigger and the smaller one were the ones the changed more to being unstable. The middle one was stable, perhaps 80-90% of the time;

- the 5 were juveniles (from 3" to 6") kept with clown loaches in a tank with plants, sand and DW. Were unstable most of the time, except one (again not the bigger or the smaller one) that was maybe 75% of the time stable;

- The group of 7 (sizes from 6" to 13") was kept alone most of the time (perhaps with a couple of polys) and most of them were unstable most of the time; With one or two - if I remeber well - it was the opposite (usually stable);

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
the one in a smaller tank got sold (took ages, and people kept asking me, is it stable or not???)

and

the one in main tank is getting stable now :naughty:

Separate them and they will go stable! It's so easy to make them stable! xD

Anyway, this is my last datnoid and I think I am going to keep it! xD

1047.jpg

1048.jpg

mauihana2001

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2008
ILLINOIS
RD's response makes the most sense to me because of his use of scientific reasoning and is also in line with my experience with keeping dats.

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store