Datnoid, tank mates..and HI!

kaladar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Iceland, Reykjavik
Jakob;3386438; said:
Definetly a NTT. And a good looking one too.
Sæll. Ég er Síkliðan á fiskaspjallinu. Ég er ekkert hissa að tjorvi fékk vitlausan fisk, definetly ekki D. Micro.
Já, en það er í fína lagi, var undirbúinn fyrir það áður en ég pantaði, langaði bara ekki í silver dat.

Jakob;3386438; said:
Definetly a NTT. And a good looking one too.

Sæll. Ég er Síkliðan á fiskaspjallinu. Ég er ekkert hissa að tjorvi fékk vitlausan fisk, definetly ekki D. Micro.

Have you got him to eat anything yet? I would try shrimps, if he doesnt take them than you will have to feed feeders for a few weeks. I wouldnt starve him til he is settled in your tank.
Heya :)
He hasn't eaten yet, just arrived few hours ago, he is just in my temporary 16gal tank atm. Hopefully tomorrow he will be in his future 105gal tank with a few bichirs (will remove the cichlids) and will try feeding him once he is in his new home. Hopefully he will eat shrimps or other frozen food... Feeders are way too expensive here in Iceland....

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
Good idea on removing the cichlids IMO. Pbass aren't bad though.
I was told goodluck in getting my NGT dat to eat something other then feeders and he ate shrimp the first day I brought him home. Good thing too cause I would of starved him rather then put feeders in my tank.
Stick to non-aggressive species. Besides who wants to see scarred up fish in their tank.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Try shrimps, frozen bloodworms (dýragarðurinn er með þá). Maybe in a few months i can fix you up with some feeders (free ofcourse).
Agree, feeders are way to expensive here.
I guarantee you that it will take more than 5 years to get him into full size.

kaladar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Iceland, Reykjavik
Update on my Dat.

Dat is now in the 105gal and his tank mates pay no attention to him.
I have tried giving him frozen bloodworms and shrimps, he has not eaten either. (except I think he swallowed one worm, and only one).
But now he has started scratching against the substrate, but he nor any other fish in the aquarium show any sign of ich or infection. Is this normal behavior of Datnoids?

How long can he survive without food? Are feeders the only way to get him started?

millhouse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2008
heriman,Ut
My Dats didn't eat for a week or two after putting them in. They can go a long time with out food. As far as the flicking/scratching goes only my AT does that. My 9 IT's and my NTT don't do this. Might want to keep an eye on him.

ceewah

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Thrilla in Manila
Yes its normal for the tigers to scratch on their sides agiansts the substrate. I wouldn't even try eeders if I were you. Keep trying with the bloodworms.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
He can go on without food for 3 weeks or so, then i would try something else.

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
It took my NGT two weeks to finally start picking at the rainbow trout (chopped fillets) that my arowana and frontosas love. 2 weeks after that he was eating almost everything I've offered (even pellets now). Just be patient

Definitely keep your eye on him about that scraping... dats love to lay on their sides, but scraping may not be good.

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
my NGT took 7 months to eat properly but i fed him live river shrimp and earthworms in the meantime to keep him going,but not too much just enough to stop him from wasting away and then he ate and hasn't stopped since lol

kaladar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Iceland, Reykjavik
Thanks for all the advice! :D
But he is still not eating on his 5th day, going to try out the trout and some live earthworms if that wont work.

Do I need to prepare the trout in some way before I put it in?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store