Datnoids, are they all wild caught?

endi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2006
toronto, Canada
Their is such thing as a CT, it is a Cambodian tiger, it refers to a ST from a certain water basin.
so its a CST?lol

If you read this whole thing, Lok talks about how they are trying to breed them for benficial reasons. To make sure the fish is around forever and doesnt go extinct. If that is their purpose it would be better to tell EVERYONE how to breed them.
what economists would say is that everyone is selfish and acts upon their own self interest. (thats an assumption economists about everything). i don't think they're doing it 100% breeding them for beneficial reasons, thats why they're not telling everyone about it.

all i know is that i wanna see more STs around =)

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jesse;1014370; said:
I recall seeing posts of a Japanese magazine article detailing an ongoing Datnioides breeding project/farm in southeast Asia. My understanding was that it was at this point still a "project" in that successful breeding had not yet been documented. I also understand that there are similar efforts afoot, but I haven't seen any documentation of successful breeding attempts. Of course, my understanding is limited to what I've been told, as I can't read Japanese, nor do I have any first hand knowledge of these efforts. :( Does anyone have that article and the ability to translate it?
I know this is old but since its been bumped: i had the article in the JP mag "Aqua life" from Feb 2006. It now is in the hands of another member, Cichlaguapote, i can read a little japanese, mainly the hiragana and katakana portions of the article, but the Kanji is over my head. I was never able to get a good translation of it, and what i could read we already knew.

Forgot to add, the "Breeding farm" featured in the article is the very same one in the series of videos that JohnPTC posted.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
islander671;1834159; said:
I know this is old but since its been bumped: i had the article in the JP mag "Aqua life" from Feb 2006. It now is in the hands of another member, Cichlaguapote, i can read a little japanese, mainly the hiragana and katakana portions of the article, but the Kanji is over my head. I was never able to get a good translation of it, and what i could read we already knew.

Forgot to add, the "Breeding farm" featured in the article is the very same one in the series of videos that JohnPTC posted.
The book is about to go back on the market. It also has the regional maps posted here in the sticky. If anyone is interested pm me before I list it. Still in great condition.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
gangster;3959232; said:
nice read...bump:)

I think classic chassis has come closest with regards to information re: farm breeding tigers.

This is info ONLY and "word of mouth" though, no pics, but he has spoken to thai people who claim that the baby IT's are farmbred or "unatural" as they would say.

This has been the only thread for a couple of years regarding this topic (forgive me if I have forgotten other threads), since Bogwood's old thread started years ago.

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
I'm am currently trying to get some data from the ST breeding program at Bungborapetch.
I know some one who is quite high up in the Department of Fisheries here in Bangkok. I want to know what "limited success" means in terms of % for fail and success.
As or when i find anything, i will update the thread i started.
I asked the fish farm to send me a map via Email and they never did. So i suppose i need to just show up. I haven't cast this out of my mind, I'm just busy at the moment.
As i wrote in the other thread i am going to go to a big vendor i know who might be able to tell me something. The problem is i will need to buy something form him to get him to talk to me. (He has a big NTT I like ;-0).
Just out of interest. STs are called Pla Dor Sua, Pla means fish. Dor means hornet and Sua means tiger.
So the literal translation for ST in Thailand is Hornet tiger fish. I think that's pretty cool!

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
classic-chassis;3962378; said:
I'm am currently trying to get some data from the ST breeding program at Bungborapetch.
I know some one who is quite high up in the Department of Fisheries here in Bangkok. I want to know what "limited success" means in terms of % for fail and success.
As or when i find anything, i will update the thread i started.
I asked the fish farm to send me a map via Email and they never did. So i suppose i need to just show up. I haven't cast this out of my mind, I'm just busy at the moment.
As i wrote in the other thread i am going to go to a big vendor i know who might be able to tell me something. The problem is i will need to buy something form him to get him to talk to me. (He has a big NTT I like ;-0).
Just out of interest. STs are called Pla Dor Sua, Pla means fish. Dor means hornet and Sua means tiger.
So the literal translation for ST in Thailand is Hornet tiger fish. I think that's pretty cool!

Keep us updated ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store