Dead fire eel pictures

Yellow_Perch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Michigan
i dont know whats worse the fish dying or you doing a autopsy..it was a beauty..

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Yellow_Perch;4861075; said:
i dont know whats worse the fish dying or you doing a autopsy..it was a beauty..
It's common practice to do a necropsy on a dead fish. It's not like he euthanized her to cut her open. Valuable information was gained from the necropsy.

Reactions: USMCSS

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Laticauda;4862808; said:
Valuable information was gained from the necropsy.
makes me hungry too.

Sorry for your loss there

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
yeah those worms stood out right away spiny eels are all wild caught as far as i know which exposes them to all sort of natural parasites without a microscope you can miss a ton of stuff so its hard to say if there the only factor of its death or even a factor

where the worms moving ?

Also that eel has alot of meat on it wounder what they taste like

dragonsong

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
PA
I'm gonna bump this because my baby tiretrack eel recently died at 4" suddenly...was laying on his side breathing heavy for two days before passing no marks or anything on the outside. Decided to do a necropsy and everything looked a lot 'cleaner' than the pix, no fat deposits or anything but I did notice some red blobs kinda like little pieces of jello about this big -- in the upper regions. It wasn't the heart and there were several of them, no pix I know dumb but he was so tiny and it was real hard to see what was going on.

What do you think it was?

AnaB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
USA
Mine died today it was about 8inches or maybe a little more. Had the same symptoms as the above post.
I thought maybe i killed it by feeding it too much. I also did an autopsy and found two pebbles in its esophagus near what i believe to be the lung. Opened up the stomach and food appeared to be well digested. Next time im getting fine sand for substrate. image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
My new fire eel (14") was brought home and less than two days it was dead. The whole time it had labored breathing. The shipping box was crushed and I attribute that to its eventual demise. I was really down about it especially because I was so excited to finally have one of my dream fish.

Trying again, but this time with a locally found tire track eel so no shipping will be required.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
i used to have a huge fire eel over 2ft. i was in hospital for a while and the pearson who fed my fish left the tank slides slightly open and when i got back it was dried out behind the tanks :( .

sorry for your losses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store