Debunked: CO2-Myth --- See tanks without carbon dioxide fertilization

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Sorry man maybe in here people believe you need co2. I would have to start a new post because i would have to add a bunch of pictures to show the difference between my high a low tech setups. Same plants just way better results. Results sell themselves not people pushing to sell a products. None of those IAPLC guys use low tech why because they dont get the same results. Their are plenty of groups out there for low tech plants and no one believes that you need to use co2 to get results man. Dont believe me go check out low tech planted tanks on facebook 36k people in there believe the same as me... I am not arguing that you need co2 but co2 gets better results.... Its just silly to try to argue against that, maybe in here you can get away with that because these are your peeps but the rest of the world don't agree with you.

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Sorry man maybe in here people believe you need co2. I would have to start a new post because i would have to add a bunch of pictures to show the difference between my high a low tech setups. Same plants just way better results. Results sell themselves not people pushing to sell a products. None of those IAPLC guys use low tech why because they dont get the same results. Their are plenty of groups out there for low tech plants and no one believes that you need to use co2 to get results man. Dont believe me go check out low tech planted tanks on facebook 36k people in there believe the same as me... I am not arguing that you need co2 but co2 gets better results.... Its just silly to try to argue against that, maybe in here you can get away with that because these are your peeps but the rest of the world don't agree with you.

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Why don’t you share your experiences with us here?

No need to get personal, we’re all here for the same hobby.

Reactions: Aqua Nut

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Why don’t you share your experiences with us here?

No need to get personal, we’re all here for the same hobby.
I apologize man, I will make a post and show all of the plants in both high and low tech so you can see for yourself. This specific myth frustrates me... It has been around since Mr Amano started using co2 in the early 90's. Of course people must have thought he was crazy adding soda water to his tanks. He researched this and found that his plants were really growing faster and more vibrant compared to his, low tech tank as how we call it now. He then further went on to design the first co2 pressurized system and then he really started to see results as using soda water was really not giving a even dispersal of co2. This myth has been know to be wrong for a long time. A lot of things changed in the past 30 years in this hobby. A lot of these old myths are still around because they keep getting recited. I am no expert but i do listen to pros when they speak,. Maybe i am lucky to be friends with some of the top 100 and 200 aquascapers in the world but these guys know how to get results.. 100k grand prize for the winner so these guys know what they are doing. Denis Wong on youtube is one of them top guys and he could clear up a lot of this information for you in a single video. These guys treat their tanks like science experiments, everything is documented. I am having a little issue uploading my pictures to the site. the file size is a little too big so i will have to upload them to another site and link them.

N.O.A.H.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2017
There is no way that co2 can ever be considered a myth to be debunked. Can ine grow wonderful low tech tanks without it? Absolutely! Does it provide a benefit that produces MUCH healthier growth and stable tanks? Without a doubt.

People who claim that co2 invariably increases maintenance simply do not know how to use it correctly. Co2 does not immediately equate to super high lights and massive fert dosing as many people who dont know how to use it correctly think.
Conversely, non co2 does not specifically equate to low maintenance low ferts.

Furthermore, many people do non co2 injected tanks and say their plants are thriving simply because they are growing but when you see pics you can see obvious growth deficiencies. With plants, by default, if they are not dying, they grow. But there is a vast difference between subsistence growth and healthy growth.

One does not NEED co2 to grow healthy plants but it certainly can never be said that co2 does not increase plant health or that it is a myth.

Reactions: Aqua Nut

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
I made a post in here showing the differences in my plants growth. I explain most in the descriptions of the photos. I picked these 2 tanks as the lighting is at the same par which I test for with my apogee quantum sensor. Spectrums are close as I can control by spectrum with my expensive LEDs Maxspect Ethereal if you want to look them up. I am using the same fertalizer Thrive all in one by NilocG. Parameters are the same also so its makes a good comparison between the two. Meet NOAH he is a very experienced aquascaper and is very educated in all things high and low tech tanks. I'm happy to see you posting in here man. He has been a big help to many people including me. https://imgur.com/gallery/jx8o5

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Sounds good Aqua Nut Aqua Nut :)

I think there is lots to be learned in both directions. On one end the very involved Amano style tanks with quick results for shows, and on the other hand folks who run their tanks for consistency and longevity. (My 220 gal has been up and running for 10 years now, with no change in substrate and little change in flora. And the reason it has only been 10 years is that I moved)

Important to realize commonalities and differences in approach, intent, and purpose, and leverage the joy of planting across our hobby. For artists & gardeners and those who just want a pretty lawn - and everyone in between.

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Sounds good Aqua Nut Aqua Nut :)

I think there is lots to be learned in both directions. On one end the very involved Amano style tanks with quick results for shows, and on the other hand folks who run their tanks for consistency and longevity. (My 220 gal has been up and running for 10 years now, with no change in substrate and little change in flora. And the reason it has only been 10 years is that I moved)

Important to realize commonalities and differences in approach, intent, and purpose, and leverage the joy of planting across our hobby. For artists & gardeners and those who just want a pretty lawn - and everyone in between.
I have to disagree with that some of these tanks take a year or 2 just to get the final product for these shows. Many many hours go into building these tanks. Some of these guys have these tanks going for the same amount of time as you. You dont go destroy a 1st prize tank. I have seen a lot of well aged tanks that are just amazing looking. I really wish i could just drop some photos for you. Me personally i dont think i could leave a tank for 10 years without changing it up lol thats just me though, i get bored easily. I think you will be able to see the difference in the plants growth in the link i just shared though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store