Debunked: CO2-Myth --- See tanks without carbon dioxide fertilization

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
thx for the compliments :) and yeah, its the title that i had a problem with :grinno: and that you said its a rip off. and that you said its a marketing scheme. but other than that, good thread ;)

toolbox31

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
New York
So I was thinking I really would like a carpeted effect in a good portion of the tank. Think it would be worth a cheaper CO2 system to achieve this grow-out a little more quickly. Also what are some suggestions on plant species for this effect.

dleomd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2009
Rockford, IL
great thread. learned that I need to learn a lot more!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

toolbox31;3173619; said:
So I was thinking I really would like a carpeted effect in a good portion of the tank. Think it would be worth a cheaper CO2 system to achieve this grow-out a little more quickly. Also what are some suggestions on plant species for this effect.
jcardona1 mentioned a couple, one of which I also have in my 10 gal. I prefer Echinodorus tenellus in my larger tanks. Again, you will not be able to grow groundcover without sufficient lighting. Depending on the depth of your tank, that might require an upgrade to power compacts.

HarleyK

toolbox31

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
New York
So I think I mights want to go with dwarf baby tears (hemianthus callitrichoides) in my new set up. I have to keep it small so it won't be a deep tank making its lighting needs a little more easily attained. This plant seems a little more difficult than what I'm use to so any advice would be helpful.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

toolbox31;3175557; said:
So I think I mights want to go with dwarf baby tears (hemianthus callitrichoides) in my new set up. I have to keep it small so it won't be a deep tank making its lighting needs a little more easily attained. This plant seems a little more difficult than what I'm use to so any advice would be helpful.
From post #1:

HarleyK;3169590; said:
  1. plant species compatibility with your set-up: Just try out a bunch of different species (see 2.), provide well for them (see 3.-5.), and wait what survives. That's much cheaper than everything else - and gives best success!
  2. water chemistry (pH, hardness): I do not mess with it, but instead choose species (flora & fauna) accordingly.
  3. lighting quality: Number, spectrum and age of bulbs. This is where you should spend your money!
  4. filtration media: i.e. not carbon - my very first lesson learned.
  5. mineral fertilization: Substrate and water.

1. Don't be fixed on Hemianthus, keep others in the back of your mind
  2. What are your water parameters? Hemianthus do best in acidic to neutral pH
  3. How tall is your tank? You should consider multiple fluorescent bulbs or power compacts
  4. this is the time to remove any chemical filter media from your filter, and especially eliminate all water agitation (spray bar, bubble wands, bio wheels)
  5. Enrich your substrate with good ferts and get some liquids to dose as well. Hemianthus need especially iron. Get an Fe and nitrate test kit and monitor those parameters!!!
Happy Planting
HarleyK

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
toolbox31;3175557; said:
the best way to do that plant, is grow it emmersed in the tank to create the carpet. then fill the tank with water crank up the co2 very high(probably to dangerous levels for fish) until the leaves change to the submerged look.

when growing emmersed cover top with plastic wrap to increase humidity.

its a pain growing it submerged as it floats alot.

so yea it kinda takes planning to do it. hair grass is pretty easy to do if you change your mind

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
sostoudt;3180640;3180640 said:
the best way to do that plant, is grow it emmersed in the tank to create the carpet. then fill the tank with water crank up the co2 very high(probably to dangerous levels for fish) until the leaves change to the submerged look.

when growing emmersed cover top with plastic wrap to increase humidity.

its a pain growing it submerged as it floats alot.

so yea it kinda takes planning to do it. hair grass is pretty easy to do if you change your mind
yup, thats what i did. you can read all about it in my thread here

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163848

Reactions: AlG

toolbox31

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
New York
Well now you've done it jcardona1, I gotta try it. I just went through about 60 pages of posts following your tanks progress. Its gunna be a little bit before I can get it started but I'll be sure to let everyone know. I'll keep up with posts too because I'll need advice all along the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store