TroyAnthony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Bastrop, Texas
Ok, so I've designed a tank, it's an "L" shape, 8 foot on one leg, by 6 foot on the other. I'm going to use 2x10's for a base, glue and screwed, 2x6 studs for the framing, 12" on center, 3/4 in ply, epoxy fiber glass coating, the hole shebang. My questions are what woyld be considered adequate deck framing underneath. I have several 4x4 post, going onto beefy piers. The outside band of the deck is doubled 2x10, the center of the tank has a doubled 2x6 joist and so does the edge, the post are all within 3 foot of each other, but they are just screwed to the band, joist, beams and perlin. I didn't cut them in. I am going to block next to them to catch more weight and the screw pattern is overkill, from both directions, didn't split any wood. After doing the full calculation on weight I am worried that I don't have enough support to hold it all. Am I being paranoid or what should I do to beef it up if I should. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics to follow soon.

Also, I've seen some people post about the plywood used, I plan to go with either marine grade or hardwood, but what should I do about the cavities inbetwee the studs? Should they have holes cut or should I just paint in there before I close up the outside with anything?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Sounds like a great set-up that you're going have there. I can't help much with the safety factor that I think you're looking. Post the design of what you're thinking for clarity.

What is the width and depth of the tank? That is reqiured to determine how much weight you need to support.

TroyAnthony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Bastrop, Texas
The footings are beefed up. 5/8 rebar, three bags of crete and I'm doubling up the joist as we speak. I did the math and realised I may have bit off more than I can chew. I could step it down but I really would like to go as big as I can get away with. I don't want to be underwhelmed.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
It looks like you are on the right path to me. Especially with the doubled up joists. I would suggest that you might want to search... building a deck to support a hot tub. I think you might get better answers that you will get here.

TroyAnthony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Bastrop, Texas
Yeah, I have built decks for hot tubs put they top out around 6000 max. I just doubled up all the joist under the tank and added 8 more post and blocks. Them in gonna block between the post and other joist. I also downsized the tank a little and I'm at 9000 lbs with my safety factor and everything. I'm a lot more confident now. As soon as I have the money for the tank, I'll post a lot of pictures of the build.

The only question I still have is how to keep the moisture out of the spaces between the framing. Do you cut vents in or should I use a deck paint, weep holes in the bottom plate? I have no idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store