design ideas for pressurised sump

bornaries

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
INDIA
I have 36x15x15inch tank that I want to convert into a pressurised sump. Mostly filled with ceramic cubes, matrix and purigen.
Any ideas...

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Wouldn't a pressurized sump basically be a canister? Sounds problematic to me but I am definitely curious to see how it turns out:)

bornaries

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
INDIA
Umm.. is there anything like a pressurised sump?
It'll be great to have something like that, with water flowing in from one side & pushing through all the media without any bypass and being drawn out by a pump on the other side.
It could be done by partitioning rigidly and making sealed glass cover on top and drilling internally through the partition for the pump.

bornaries

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
INDIA
I wanted a sump filled only with bio media,mostly ceramic cubes, a place with Matrix and lastly Purigen.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
pressurizing it makes it a canister filter. you could do it, but theres really no reason to.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most commercial "fluidized bed filters" are pressurized. They push water thru bio-media, and keep it in constant motion, so the less robust beneficial bacteria slough off, keeping the beneficial bacterial population in peak condition.
I made a DIY unit, but eventually, ditched the pressurized part (closed top), because during power outages the media would back siphon (even with a check valve) and plug up the influent hose to the unit. A plugged hose was very difficult to deal with, when the unit had to be completely disassembled to unplug.
I used aragonite sand as media to take the unit beyond its beneficial capacity, and also make it a buffering reactor. The aragonite dissolves when coming into contact with acids, keeping pH and alkalinity high.
The unit I made is 4ft tall, with an 8" diameter, and was very heavy, and clumsy when filled with 20+ gallons of water.

Reactions: bornaries
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store