Desktop 10 Gallon Stock Ideas

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp, other different brightly colored shrimp and a few rummy nose tetras.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
bettas, just your basic long fin betta, they are fear less. had them at work for awhile.

THQ

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
What's the footprint of the tank? Depends if you want a school or just a single fish?

Single:
- easy: betta
- advanced: dwarf puffer (heaps of personality)

School:
- ember tetra
- chilli rasbora
- endlers livebearer
- celestial pearl danio

Shrimp:
- hardiest and cheapest would be red cherry shrimp. just buy a dozen or two and watch them go forth and multiply. don't put any fish with them as they will eat the shrimplets. otos are the only shrimp-safe fish. you could have a small school with them.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
id go the red cherry shrimp route, they'd feed on algae etc over the weekend; and are surprisingly enjoyable and active in small desktop tanks such as the one you mention.

Another variable is the bioload, with cherries you'll be changing water not as often as you would with a betta say. Means less hassle in work etc

THQ

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
id go the red cherry shrimp route, they'd feed on algae etc over the weekend; and are surprisingly enjoyable and active in small desktop tanks such as the one you mention.

Another variable is the bioload, with cherries you'll be changing water not as often as you would with a betta say. Means less hassle in work etc
that's definitely true. I have a 5 G heavily planted RCS tank and basically I never have to do PWCs for the sake of nitrates as the plants use up what little bioload the RCS produce. I still do every few weeks or so to freshen up the water and electrolytes. One thing with small tanks and infrequent water changes apart from nitrates, is to use some kind of buffer eg., crushed coral, so that over time it doesn't suddenly ph crash. especially my soft water.

Reactions: convict360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store