EARTH
Wow Craig, Good Information. Thanks.:clap

craig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
LONG ISLAND NY
DarthLungFish said:
Marke14, I have the U.V. attached to the outlet pipe coming from my Eheim filter. It is great on keeping the water crystal clear. However, I'm not made out of money, so a Vortex Filter might be the way to go for the other tanks I have. You Thread helped me on getting off my ass and buying one. Tomorrow's mission, Buy a Vortex!! Thanks man!:grinyes:
Big Al's on line is having a sale right now.Diatom XL $89.99

marke14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
DarthLungFish said:
Marke14, I have the U.V. attached to the outlet pipe coming from my Eheim filter. It is great on keeping the water crystal clear. However, I'm not made out of money, so a Vortex Filter might be the way to go for the other tanks I have. You Thread helped me on getting off my ass and buying one. Tomorrow's mission, Buy a Vortex!! Thanks man!:grinyes:

Dude, check out eBay -- I got mine with 5 extra 1 pound boxes of filter powder for about $100, shipped.

Someone on another aquarium site (www.guppylog.com) recommended that I go to a pool supply store to purchase the filter powder for much, much less than the Vortex brand powder.

It's a pain in the ass to set up and clean, but for me there was no other option. And these pictures don't even really do justice to how clear the water gets with this kind of filter -- it's like the fish are floating in mid-air!

As far as "how" I got the greenwater, well, if I knew I wouldn't have had to purchase the diatom filter ;) I suspect it's because the tank is relatively close to the window in my living room, and we have very thin drapes that let in a lot of light, AND I use regular, municipal tapwater in the South Bay of Los Angeles, CA (although don't know if the tapwater has anything to do with it). People who breed baby brine shrimp to feed to their fry tell me that they covet greenwater because it allows the shrimp to feed on the water itself, thus making in much more convenient to raise the BBS. I guess I'm just "lucky" that way :|

craig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
LONG ISLAND NY
marke14 said:
Dude, check out eBay -- I got mine with 5 extra 1 pound boxes of filter powder for about $100, shipped.

Someone on another aquarium site (www.guppylog.com) recommended that I go to a pool supply store to purchase the filter powder for much, much less than the Vortex brand powder.

It's a pain in the ass to set up and clean, but for me there was no other option. And these pictures don't even really do justice to how clear the water gets with this kind of filter -- it's like the fish are floating in mid-air!

As far as "how" I got the greenwater, well, if I knew I wouldn't have had to purchase the diatom filter ;) I suspect it's because the tank is relatively close to the window in my living room, and we have very thin drapes that let in a lot of light, AND I use regular, municipal tapwater in the South Bay of Los Angeles, CA (although don't know if the tapwater has anything to do with it). People who breed baby brine shrimp to feed to their fry tell me that they covet greenwater because it allows the shrimp to feed on the water itself, thus making in much more convenient to raise the BBS. I guess I'm just "lucky" that way :|
The pool powdder is not the same as the vortex diatom filter powder is. Read the directions,it states that if you use pool powder it voids the warranty.

DarthLungFish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2005
EARTH
Thanks Marke14 and Craig. I'll wait for the Next Wed. to buy from BigAls, Double the points. I've checked out ebay, looking at a new Fluval Filter:Very Cool. Thanks again.:grinyes: [/quote]

marke14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

DarthLungFish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2005
EARTH
Very Cool Marke14, I think I might do the Ebay thing I this one! :headbang2

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
huh!! just setup my vortex damn that was easy stirred up some gravel in the back where my python doesnt reach NASTY i'll post the pics in 15 mins..
also i agree with the uv for the g/w i run one as well never had an outbreak since using it worth the money..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store