Did I buy a spotted gar or Alligator?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Didn't you get the memo? Florida Gars now grow to 12' :)

In all seriousness - no, they are not the same, and yes, you will need a much larger tank, or a pond - but the good news is, I'm sure it's plenty warm outside, for you, if you wanted to put up a cheap DIY pond for him.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
housing a Florida gar in Singapore is not a big problem if you can get a big enough tank or pond, not that expensive in Sing compare to the US though. But a gator gar is a way bigger problem if you don't have quite a bit of money. And beside this guy doesn't seem to have much experience in gar keeping so it is best to return the gar.

karaig19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2012
In the Ocean
18-22" is quite a bit different than 3-4'. Please learn more about these fish before commenting.
Florida gar grow 3-4 foot in the wild I have seen monster sized ones 3foot+ surface for air at lake tarpon.... They may grow 18-22 inches in captivity in 400g tanks plainly because they run out of growing room. I live in florida with climate to stableize one in a pond that gives endless growing room... Go do some research on your own... I need no research cause i have seen people catch 3 foot gar+ here.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Florida gar grow 3-4 foot in the wild I have seen monster sized ones 3foot+ surface for air at lake tarpon.... They may grow 18-22 inches in captivity in 400g tanks plainly because they run out of growing room. I live in florida with climate to stableize one in a pond that gives endless growing room... Go do some research on your own... I need no research cause i have seen people catch 3 foot gar+ here.
We are discussing gars in regards to keeping them in captivity. 18-22" is the average captive max size with captive raised gars. This is reflected by many different members with many different setups and care regimes. Different size tanks, water change schedules, feeding regimes, etc. There is not any concrete proof of a captive raised florida even getting 2' let alone 3-4 in the home aquaria setting.

Once again I will suggest that you do more research on these fish before commenting.

karaig19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2012
In the Ocean
We are discussing gars in regards to keeping them in captivity. 18-22" is the average captive max size with captive raised gars. This is reflected by many different members with many different setups and care regimes. Different size tanks, water change schedules, feeding regimes, etc. There is not any concrete proof of a captive raised florida even getting 2' let alone 3-4 in the home aquaria setting.

Once again I will suggest that you do more research on these fish before commenting.
I never denied in captivity but u can simulate wild settings with a 2,000g + tank there definently is go look at different posts on here there are ones exceeding 24" but it's rare to find someone with that big of a tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I never denied in captivity but u can simulate wild settings with a 2,000g + tank there definently is go look at different posts on here there are ones exceeding 24" but it's rare to find someone with that big of a tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
try it before say anything! the Cabela's near me have spotted gar in a 10000G tank and those that they brought in small haven't pass 18'' in 7 years!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
FLG seldom reach 3' in the wild...4' is probably out of the question. a lot of the references are actually incorrect on their maximum size (i.e. 52" in some of the peterson guides). they aren't getting that big in the wild, and they aren't getting that big in captivity. a very large FLG is more around 125 cm (wild); usually maxing out around 18-20" in captivity (if raised completely in captivity).--
--solomon

karaig19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2012
In the Ocean
FLG seldom reach 3' in the wild...4' is probably out of the question. a lot of the references are actually incorrect on their maximum size (i.e. 52" in some of the peterson guides). they aren't getting that big in the wild, and they aren't getting that big in captivity. a very large FLG is more around 125 cm (wild); usually maxing out around 18-20" in captivity (if raised completely in captivity).--
--solomon
Have you ever even owned a Florida gar?? Mine is only a foot and even at 2 foot with extreme mass he compairs nowhere to the pics other people have...

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store