Did You Know Oscars are Bass???

bassfisher91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2012
New York
Try coming to the south. 70+ species of FW fish down here yet, they're all called "Mudfish" by the locals.
And if you head up north 90 percent of the fish are perch...doesn't matter if its a sunfish, bluegill, bass, walleye w/e. They're all "perch fish" up here.

majorhavok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2012
Left Coast
I'm still reeling from the discovery that "Tilapia" is the generic name for hundreds of different cichlids. In that case I have eaten a LOT of cichlids.. lol

I grew up in the south and discovered that all the common names I knew things as changed depending on where you were in the country. Fish, Birds.. even soda, errr, pop, err coke.. you know

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
what I never understood was calling sunfish bream, never got that. And the people by me call everything that is a sunfish a bluegill, doesnt matter what species it is, then when I try and correct them i feel like a total prick lol. Then theres only two types of catfish, theres Channel Cats, and Mudcats (flathead). And bullheads aren't even a catfish apparently? The people around here are not very fish mart lol.

jordanhunt

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
wisbech united kingdom
what I never understood was calling sunfish bream, never got that. And the people by me call everything that is a sunfish a bluegill, doesnt matter what species it is, then when I try and correct them i feel like a total prick lol. Then theres only two types of catfish, theres Channel Cats, and Mudcats (flathead). And bullheads aren't even a catfish apparently? The people around here are not very fish mart lol.
In England we have bream, roach, perch (actual perch), pike and tench

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Animal989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2011
Saginaw michigan
Lol exactly i went fishing for the first time this year and caught a little bullhead when i said "oh yea i caught a little catfish" everyone laughed and said no it's a bullhead... I was so confused lol

hawkerw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
Montana
You know I think it varies allot from one part of the country to the other. Here to them anything over 6 inchs means you can eat it:nilly:. I'm from New Enland, Where we had Perch, Bass, Sunfish, Trout, Salmon, Pickral, Pike etc) I moved South and the same fish all had different names. Now I've moved West and I'm starting all over.

Do you folks know I think some of the most beautiful fish I have ever seen are in the Trout, Salmon family? Up here there are so many and talk about Beautiful???? Wish they where tank fish!!!! I need to put a lock on my tank because the townfolk want my Oscar for breakfast. This is truly such a awesome place...there are a few spots where you can live in the past. All the fun stuff, Wolves, Bear, Elk, Dear, there are more dear then dogs downtown during hunting season it's nothing to wake up to 10 or 15 dear/elk in your yard and they arn't the slightest bit scared. They know they can't be shot at in town:ROFL:.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store