Diet change: pellets and fillet training

yngggru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2013
Philippines
you can try the bloodworms but I would be light on feeding them as ime bloodworms can bind up most fish.
Thanks again! You're now one of the experts haha. How many do you keep, btw? Would be awesome to see a couple of pics of yours and their tanks! :D Yeah gars are really awesome and aren't the usual type of fish you'd expect to see in a home aquarium. My friends think he looks scarier that my belgian mal lol. Wish I had a bigger tank to house more tho.

Got it! I'll go to my lfs later and check for smaller pellets. These pellets are pea-sized, quite big. Will be following your guide step by step. Ive kept my gar for over a year I think and just recently found out that you can pellet train them after joining this forum. Im such a noob lol. Thanks!

Btw, how do you know if a small gar is platinum? I keep seeing all-silver gars mixed with ordinary gars but all are just about 5" long at an lfs. They all go for the same price, 20$.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
In the Media lounge at the top of the sub-forum you can see my "Updates" thread... focuses mainly on the gar but a few of the other fish are in there as well.

As for plats ect.. I've not delt with them at all to give any reguards to this... Might ask Energy as he keeps some very interesting oddball gar colors. But from what I understand Plats are pretty much patternless and of course white.. but young gar can easily wash-out and be nearly all white. So I'de be wary of trying to "get lucky" and end up simply with a stressed out fish when you could have gotten something abit less stressed.

yngggru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2013
Philippines
Nice looking Garmy! That Cuban looks beautiful lol. do you keep them all in a 75? Have you tried keeping them with bichirs?

Ive seen Energy's and yea he has everyones dream tank. Living the dream with those golden gars and all. :( Wish I had a tank like that.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I recently moved them all from a 120 into a 1k pool... the Cuban should reach a few feet as well as the longnoses... I also have some big cats that need the space... and imo when you start keeping anything outside floridas a 180 just isn't going to cut it long -term as most the other species can get a few feet.

and yes I would keep him alone or get him 2-3 more buddies, when I kept just the 2 floridas the dominate fish didn't beat up my subordinant one but he was always very shy as a result of constantly being preassured by the dominant one to be submissive. kinda like what you will see in discus and colony breeding cichlids. They do enjoy grouping up though and it is fun to watch everyone swim around as one unit.

yngggru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2013
Philippines
Gosh a pool sounds huge. And awesome! Guess you now see them from another perspective haha. Must be fun watching them. I suggest you dont try to swim there. Haha.

If only I could get a bigger tank I'd try some more maybe even the plat-or-stressed fish. Lol. Wish I was old enough to get my own place. I'd build a room-sized tank for my fish! Keep on monster fishing and thanks for the advice!

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have a gator gar that I at 23 inches long,when I went to feed him what my other fish eat he would not eat anything but gold fish. I feed my other fish frieze dry krill and Tilapia fillets, pellets,some one told me about kents garlic extract,I tried it and the very first day he started eating the tilapia fillets soon after that krill and now he eats the Hikiri Jumbo Carnisticks. He likes the Carnisticks the best,but I am sold on the garlic extract,I could not believe it worked the first time. I cut the Tilapia into long strips and then cross cut into bite sized pieces. I did not soak it over night like the instructions said, I just put an eye dropper filled with the extract right on the fish and mixed it in. Good luck Noel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store