Difference between sp. dabola, koliba, koloton

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Seeing more sp. dabolas in the market and posts nowadays. Sp. dabola and endlicheri, aren’t they both the same? What the difference?
Same goes for polypterus bichir “lapardei”. I cannot tell the difference between sp. koliba and sp. koloton lapardeis. I can only tell the difference between Nigerian lapardei and kolibas due to the head shape, Nigerians have a larger, flatter head shape, and perhaps a skinner build?
Anyone can help me to identify better? Thanks! Picture below of my Guinean endli to capture more attention 🤪🤪

giseok jung giseok jung Hao Hao Polypterus_36 Polypterus_36

IMG_1967.jpeg

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Regarding the koloton and koliba. Those are basically the same thing now days. They used to have minor “differences” but over time African exporters started to mix and matching them. So now it doesn’t matter anymore just pretend they are the same thing to make things simple.

As for the sp. “Dabola”, I actually hate talking about this since it’s kind of controversial. But what I’m about to say it’s just my opinion and how I see it. I will provide examples of what I consider are sp. “Dabola” at the end.
Buckle your seatbelt, things are about to get confusing…

For starters, you might be confusing Endlicheri from “Dabola” and sp. “Dabola”. Those two are not the same. Sp. “Dabola” refers to an undescribed species from “Dabola” somewhat like sp. “Nigeria” (that’s another topic). As to what an sp. “Dabola” is, nobody can say for sure since there is not enough scientific studies done on them. For the longest time (even now), Japanese have been calling them Lapen (wild hybrid of lap and endli). So there are some people who believe sp. “Dabola” is a wild hybrid between Guinean Polypterus endlicheri and Guinean Polypterus bichir (lapradei). There are also others who think they are their own species. Anyway Sp. “Dabola” are actually quite rare, as you might or might not find one mixed in an import of Guinean Endlicheri/Lapradei. They almost never come in as a batch of “sp. Dabola”. Side note that pisses me off is the Nigerian exporters who recently (probably since 2020/2021) started exporting sp. “Nigeria” as sp. “Dabola”/ Dabola endlicheri which adds fuel to the confusion.

The term sp. “Dabola” was started by Toyin of Rehoboth Aquatics back in early 2008. Originally, he said that they have 14-15 finlets but over time I have found that they have similiar finlet count like Endlicheri (11-13 usually). Btw Finlet count is not reliable when it comes to IDing bichirs 😂.
Originally people often said sp. Dabola has a Lapradei head with endli body/markings.
But personally I feel like they have their own headshape that closer resembles Endlicheri. Their body and markings also typically resemble more of Endlicheri. The main difference I’ve noticed that sets them apart from Endlicheri is their distinct facial markings/head markings which resembles more of a Lapradei. They also have colors more similiar to Lapradei. Personally I consider those with lapradei head and endlicheri markings more of an oddball/unique Guinean Polypterus bichir (Lapradei).
Basically to me, the very first few so called sp. Dabola back in 2008 were just Lapradei (I’m sure there were some true sp. “Dabola” mixed in the batch too).
Again, this is just how I usually identify them and what I consider sp. “Dabola”.
If in the future, they actually get genetic testing done on multiple sp. “Dabola”, as well as multiple lapradei with endlicheri stripes, and they turn out to be hybrids then I guess it’ll be more confusing. 😂 There’s a high chance of sp. Dabola being a wild hybrid based on the captive bred Lap x Endli I’ve seen but who knows. I’ve also seen CB lap x endli that resemble Ghana endlicheri too…
An interesting thing I want to note is Endlicheri from Ghana look very similiar to sp. “Dabola” since they generally have heavy facial marking/head markings as well. But in the future, Ghana endlicheri potentially could be their own species since giseok jung giseok jung did some DNA testing on them and found that they are quite different in comparison to the Endlicheri population.

Hopefully I didn't make any writing errors haha. But yeah seeing the photos below should help clear it up a bit too.
anyway here are bunch of photos of what I consider true sp. “Dabola” (few of them were my old fish, most of them belong to other bichir keepers in Asia)
Keep in mind, there are also minor variation among sp. "Dabola" in terms of color and pattern.
IMG_3093.jpeg
IMG_3094.jpeg
IMG_3095.jpeg
IMG_3096.jpeg
IMG_3097.jpeg
IMG_3099.jpeg
IMG_3098.jpeg
IMG_3085.jpeg
IMG_3086.jpeg
IMG_3087.jpeg
IMG_3088.jpeg
IMG_3089.jpeg
IMG_3090.jpeg
IMG_3091.jpeg
IMG_3092.jpeg

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Regarding the koloton and koliba. Those are basically the same thing now days. They used to have minor “differences” but over time African exporters started to mix and matching them. So now it doesn’t matter anymore just pretend they are the same thing to make things simple.

As for the sp. “Dabola”, I actually hate talking about this since it’s kind of controversial. But what I’m about to say it’s just my opinion and how I see it. I will provide examples of what I consider are sp. “Dabola” at the end.
Buckle your seatbelt, things are about to get confusing…

For starters, you might be confusing Endlicheri from “Dabola” and sp. “Dabola”. Those two are not the same. Sp. “Dabola” refers to an undescribed species from “Dabola” somewhat like sp. “Nigeria” (that’s another topic). As to what an sp. “Dabola” is, nobody can say for sure since there is not enough scientific studies done on them. For the longest time (even now), Japanese have been calling them Lapen (wild hybrid of lap and endli). So there are some people who believe sp. “Dabola” is a wild hybrid between Guinean Polypterus endlicheri and Guinean Polypterus bichir (lapradei). There are also others who think they are their own species. Anyway Sp. “Dabola” are actually quite rare, as you might or might not find one mixed in an import of Guinean Endlicheri/Lapradei. They almost never come in as a batch of “sp. Dabola”. Side note that pisses me off is the Nigerian exporters who recently (probably since 2020/2021) started exporting sp. “Nigeria” as sp. “Dabola”/ Dabola endlicheri which adds fuel to the confusion.

The term sp. “Dabola” was started by Toyin of Rehoboth Aquatics back in early 2008. Originally, he said that they have 14-15 finlets but over time I have found that they have similiar finlet count like Endlicheri (11-13 usually). Btw Finlet count is not reliable when it comes to IDing bichirs 😂.
Originally people often said sp. Dabola has a Lapradei head with endli body/markings.
But personally I feel like they have their own headshape that closer resembles Endlicheri. Their body and markings also typically resemble more of Endlicheri. The main difference I’ve noticed that sets them apart from Endlicheri is their distinct facial markings/head markings which resembles more of a Lapradei. They also have colors more similiar to Lapradei. Personally I consider those with lapradei head and endlicheri markings more of an oddball/unique Guinean Polypterus bichir (Lapradei).
Basically to me, the very first few so called sp. Dabola back in 2008 were just Lapradei (I’m sure there were some true sp. “Dabola” mixed in the batch too).
Again, this is just how I usually identify them and what I consider sp. “Dabola”.
If in the future, they actually get genetic testing done on multiple sp. “Dabola”, as well as multiple lapradei with endlicheri stripes, and they turn out to be hybrids then I guess it’ll be more confusing. 😂 There’s a high chance of sp. Dabola being a wild hybrid based on the captive bred Lap x Endli I’ve seen but who knows. I’ve also seen CB lap x endli that resemble Ghana endlicheri too…
An interesting thing I want to note is Endlicheri from Ghana look very similiar to sp. “Dabola” since they generally have heavy facial marking/head markings as well. But in the future, Ghana endlicheri potentially could be their own species since giseok jung giseok jung did some DNA testing on them and found that they are quite different in comparison to the Endlicheri population.

Hopefully I didn't make any writing errors haha. But yeah seeing the photos below should help clear it up a bit too.
anyway here are bunch of photos of what I consider true sp. “Dabola” (few of them were my old fish, most of them belong to other bichir keepers in Asia)
Keep in mind, there are also minor variation among sp. "Dabola" in terms of color and pattern.
View attachment 1541642
View attachment 1541643
View attachment 1541644
View attachment 1541645
View attachment 1541646
View attachment 1541647
View attachment 1541648
View attachment 1541649
View attachment 1541650
View attachment 1541651
View attachment 1541652
View attachment 1541653
View attachment 1541654
View attachment 1541655
View attachment 1541656
Thanks a lot, this clears up a lot of doubts I had. So in reality sp. dabola is most likely a WC polypterus bichir “lapardei” x endlicheri (lapen), and dabola endli is just a Guinean endli found in the dabola region.
yeah, I can’t distinguish between koloton and koliba, I’ve always wondered how experts do it, I guess they can’t really too 😂

• Haha
Reactions: koltsixx and AR1

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks a lot, this clears up a lot of doubts I had. So in reality sp. dabola is most likely a WC polypterus bichir “lapardei” x endlicheri (lapen), and dabola endli is just a Guinean endli found in the dabola region.
yeah, I can’t distinguish between koloton and koliba, I’ve always wondered how experts do it, I guess they can’t really too 😂
Yeah the possibility is high but can't say for sure.
As for the koloton/koliba, there used to be "clear" rules to differentiate them but eventually Kolotons were imported as Koliba and vice versa so it got super confusing and most of us have just concluded they are the same variant despite them being from different rivers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store