Different dovii colorations

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Here's my yellow one. He was a normal dovii up until he faded at 4" or so, since then he has gone totally blind. Never heard of any other cichlid going blind after fading but it happened almost immediately after fading. You can see in the photo his eye is not dark like the other faded dovii eyes, it is reflective.

He senses commotion when I feed the tank and if I aim just right I can drop pellets on his snout and he sucks them up.
20200121_200722.jpg

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Plan is to keep a pair in the tank. It's an 8' 400 gallon tank so it should work for them all for a while longer before I have to thin. Most people seem to like the red guy, I really like the white and orange one.

A guy locally bought a pair and bred them. They hatched in late May 2019 I think? So still less than a year old.
They are both incredible! It would be very hard to choose one over the other. I do like all the speckling on that one though!

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Thanks man. Added some ABS pipe and some pots today, hoping to start to see some pairing soon. They're about that size.
Have they done any damage to the dithers? Or just chase them off?

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Have they done any damage to the dithers? Or just chase them off?
They've killed off most everything I tried to add with them except for neets and some bifas (and one convict and one Thorichthys out of 12...). I am done trying to add any more, unless I can find a group of foot long tinfoil barbs or bala sharks.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Moved my two blind fish to their own bare bottom tank so they can actually find food. The one good thing about blind fish is that they are really easy to net out of the big tank. Still haven't heard of any other fish having normal vision until it fades and then having eye issues but I guess it doesn't really surprise me. These guys are inbred and color morphs like albinism have eye issues.

Here's a quick video of how they feed not being able to see the pellets - they cruise aimlessly until the bump into food and then try to inhale it quickly.

My last unfaded fish has started to change over the last couple weeks. Looking pretty ugly right now.

And just a cell phone pic of the red guy. Probably close to 8" now?

20200304_091338.jpg20200305_210325.jpg20200305_210501.jpg

20200304_091040.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store