Disappearing Fish?!?!?!?

Bleeding

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2006
KC, Missouri
Ok this might sound silly, but here goes... :screwy:

A while back (probably almost 3 months ago) I was in the process of setting up a small 20 gallon tank. This was my first tank, and I didnt know what to put in. After a few weeks the algae started to build up, so I went to purchase a sucker fish. Instead of getting a pleco, I chose those rubber lipped catfish that get only about 5 inches long....

Well the lady at the LFS said I should use two, which in hindsight was way too much suckerfish for a 20 gallon tank. Anyway...one of them would always hide while the other one was present on the tank walls. Sometimes you would see both of them out.

Now, I cleaned the tank the other day and realized that I had not seen them both in a while, so i went searching, and found that he is gone..... :cry:

Serioulsy, I moved every hiding spot, he is not there. The tank has guppies and platys and danios. Much to small to eat him, i guess if they really wanted to.

WTF is going on, and has anyone else had this happen???

F

FishHeadSoup

maybe he jumped out of the tank and is behind whatever the tank sits on?

is your tank covered?

hoss62773

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
colorado
he'll come back, you got any man made decorations? these usually are hollow and inviting to bottom dwellers

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
ive seriously thought the same thing has happened too. i really did think that i checked every single place that he could possibly be and then all of a sudden out of nowere he just appeared. i was cleaning one of my FAKE decor (in a bucket of tankwater).

Bleeding

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2006
KC, Missouri
sweet, after you guys said that, i took out all the Fake decor and examined it...

sure enough, he was in a hole in one that i didnt even know was there!!

Whats causing them not to clean the tank then? They used to over clean it, and now im being overcome with algae on the sides again?

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
have you added any fish since? Maybe coz you've moved stuff around their settling in from their 'new' surroundings

red oscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
JOUSHA TX
not sure what a rubber lip catfish is but a lot of fish are good at eating alge when small but then don't eat much when get older

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store