Discus breeding questions!!

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
So unfortunately, Monday morning I noticed allll the eggs were gone. Pretty sure it was one of the 2 plecos or the blue gourami that were in the tank seeing as the parents were being very good taking care of the eggs. It also happened over night, midnight I set a blue moon light setting next morning they were gone.

So I removed any fish that is not a discus (rubber nose pleco, some random small L129 sized pleco and the gourami)

I’m wondering for the first few spawns if fry will make it in the 100 gal tank with only other discus in there. The dad is the biggest in the tank and clearly dominant. There was a pair of angels in there constantly raising free swimmers but I had no interest in raising them.

Basically, it seems the non breeding discus aren’t as aggressive so I wana think the parents can guard them. I think the pair needs to stay in that tank for more spawns before isolating them into either a 20 tall or a 29 bow front (which has the fish I took out the discus tank so I would throw them in another tank) 20 tall would be easiest for me.

so the question is, do you think fry will make it as long as the parents simply do their job? Discus only, 4’x2’x20” size and I’ll just throw the pic again so u can see where they lay.

trying to learn on the fly here!! THANK YOU sorry for the long post!91C08B15-53EA-4D88-B913-581E2962E98A.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So unfortunately, Monday morning I noticed allll the eggs were gone. Pretty sure it was one of the 2 plecos or the blue gourami that were in the tank seeing as the parents were being very good taking care of the eggs. It also happened over night, midnight I set a blue moon light setting next morning they were gone.

So I removed any fish that is not a discus (rubber nose pleco, some random small L129 sized pleco and the gourami)

I’m wondering for the first few spawns if fry will make it in the 100 gal tank with only other discus in there. The dad is the biggest in the tank and clearly dominant. There was a pair of angels in there constantly raising free swimmers but I had no interest in raising them.

Basically, it seems the non breeding discus aren’t as aggressive so I wana think the parents can guard them. I think the pair needs to stay in that tank for more spawns before isolating them into either a 20 tall or a 29 bow front (which has the fish I took out the discus tank so I would throw them in another tank) 20 tall would be easiest for me.

so the question is, do you think fry will make it as long as the parents simply do their job? Discus only, 4’x2’x20” size and I’ll just throw the pic again so u can see where they lay.

trying to learn on the fly here!! THANK YOU sorry for the long post!View attachment 1496508
Removing the Angelfish and especially the Pleco was a good thing imo. I would definitely not remove the bonded pair out of the aquarium because sometimes it can break the bond.

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
Removing the Angelfish and especially the Pleco was a good thing imo. I would definitely not remove the bonded pair out of the aquarium because sometimes it can break the bond.
Yea that’s what I’m thinking I don’t wana stress them and loos their bond. But yea there is nothing in their but discus. Not even mystery snails. They seem to hold down that side of the tank well with eggs, as for wigglers and free swimmers haven’t seen that yet as they were due to hatch the next day but yea.. nocturnal plecos. All the other discus don’t seem threatening but we shall see ??In time I would like to separate the pair to succeed in this endeavor

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
Would relocating the pair while they have wigglers or free swimmers be smart or would that risk breaking the pair in your opinion?? Thank you!

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
May confuse the parents. Try not to do too much in the aquarium that will set things back.
just had my best idea yet at least lol turns out I have 0.2” thick acrylic sheet sitting around. Ordered suction cups for a 0.2” divider and boom I can cut it down to size, drill some nice holes in it for water flow and cover them w cheese cloth and also give them all the space they could want plenty more than s 20T. I have to make it custom since this isn’t a normal tank size. Kinda 0B175089-CEFF-40B1-B9FF-DB6D1490A6A1.jpeghappy about this idea haha

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
Or I’m way over thinking things but hey I just wana breed these guys. Been 20+ years in the hobby and I finally have the chance ?

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
With discus the transition from eggs to wrigglers and from wrigglers to free-swimming can be hard for new parents. It often takes them a few starts to work out the kinks.

Ultimately, you will probably want to move them to a separate tank so the babies don't get lost, the current isn't too strong, you can keep a light on, the baby food doesn't get lost in the vastness of the big tank etc.

In my experience, moving the pair plus one or two subordinate fish into the separate tank works best. Once the pair have spawned and seem to be doing well, you can remove the other fish one at a time. I've used 20-55 gallon tanks for breeders for discus, with the 30-40 gallon range seeming to be about perfect. You will probably want to use a bare bottom so you can siphon out any uneaten food because maintaining good water quality is the biggest challenge with raising young discus.

Have fun! You've got beautiful fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store