Discus Coloration and Growth

funcolandtrav

Gambusia
MFK Member
Hi everyone, I am new to discus and have been only keeping them for a little over a month now. I did a ton of research regarding their care but wondered about the coloration and growth.

When does the average discus develop full coloration and what size?

Mine are currently around 2-3 inch.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1430413780.235959.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

funcolandtrav

Gambusia
MFK Member
Thanks! I decided after years of large South American cichlids to clear out the 220g and dedicate it to discus. They have grown about an inch the first month and are starting to show some color on the outside of their fins. I'll try to photo document their progress and share.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Nice tank and fish. What are those Tefe? From my experience withe wild fish, once settled into a tank they really start to show adult coloration at about 4".

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Sweet set up!! Same boat here, only had mine around 6-7 weeks. Just around 4" and starting to color.

funcolandtrav

Gambusia
MFK Member
Thanks for the responses. I'm digging it so far too. Don't Get me wrong, I still have a place in my heart for the aggressive large stuff but it's kind of nice to have a peaceful tank for once lol...I did keep my 5" chocolate cichlid though. Have him in a 75g. I'll try to get some more pics to help identify the species. I was told the discus are blue turquoise and the smaller ones are red pigeon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store