discus deaths

woolfie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
scotland
hi all had a disaster in my hut last night i lost six of my adult discus i am really sick
i was an airline that went array fromthe tank and the fish literally suffocated i was messin about with the air system and i was adjusting levels inthe tanks all was fine when i closed the hut down for the night i went in today six were dead the airline had come out the tank so there was very little air in the tank with the water temp being higher than normal i am totally gutted
the funny thing is i was reading a thread last night about disasters and whoa and behold i have one of my own i am think of giving up on the discus and getting some other type of cichlid anyone got any idea renenber i live in scotland and its pretty hard to get some really nice stuff

i have some snakeheads and some pike at present

cheers woolfie

Turk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2005
NYC
Sorry to hear about that. I know it's tough to take. Have you had them for a while? What size tank were your guys in?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Vitaliy said:
Fish will not die without aeration, will do just fine without it as well - has to be something else.

I seriously hope your trying to be funny.....

Sorry aboot your looses there Woolfie...that sucks bro! :(. Maybe try duct tapin the line to the tank next time so i won't come out?

TheUnhappiest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2005
SoCaL 818
woolfie said:
hi all had a disaster in my hut last night i lost six of my adult discus i am really sick
i was an airline that went array fromthe tank and the fish literally suffocated i was messin about with the air system and i was adjusting levels inthe tanks all was fine when i closed the hut down for the night i went in today six were dead the airline had come out the tank so there was very little air in the tank with the water temp being higher than normal i am totally gutted
the funny thing is i was reading a thread last night about disasters and whoa and behold i have one of my own i am think of giving up on the discus and getting some other type of cichlid anyone got any idea renenber i live in scotland and its pretty hard to get some really nice stuff

i have some snakeheads and some pike at present

cheers woolfie
That sucks... :(

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
i have to agree with V... cutting out an air pump wont kill your fish ....

other then that sorry for your losses

Turk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2005
NYC
Depends on size & dimensions of tank, # of fish, water movement, etc. Sometimes (often) aeration is necessary to keep O2 levels adequate.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Peanut_Power said:
I seriously hope your trying to be funny.....

Sorry aboot your looses there Woolfie...that sucks bro! :(. Maybe try duct tapin the line to the tank next time so i won't come out?
I am very serious, there are a number of people running tanks here (myself included) who do not have any special air pumps for aeration. If you do your regular water changes the water should have more than enough sufficient oxygen in it. It is not the bubbles giving you the oxygen either. If you have a filter running, most likely it is already creating enough water movement, if not, get a better filter.

It is not really the air bubbles themselves which aerate the water per se, it is the circulation and surface turbulence that they create. Good circulation in an aquarium can be important for several reasons, but one of them is to circulate the water up to the surface where it will interact with the air to pick up oxygen - this is why surface turbulence increases the aeration/oxygenation of the water. Note that in an aquarium with good circulation, additional aeration should not normally be necessary. In planted aquaria it is actually undesirable, as it will cause more of the CO2 on which plants rely to be lost from the water. There are occasions where it may be desirable to increase oxygenation however. One of these is when the temperature of the aquarium is higher than normal, due to high ambient temperature. There will be less oxygen dissolved in the water as the temperature increases, so it is important to maximise aeration in a warmer tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store