Discus egg fungus, best way to defeat it??

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hey all, back again. Previously posted all excited about my pair of leopard snakeskins worried they wouldn’t breed again. They breed constantly thankfully lol just can’t get successfully to and through wiggler stage.

Now I solve one problem only to run into the next. (Fish keeping essentially) Which now is trying to prevent fungus from growing on the eggs. I’m convinced the parents can sense (smell?) when fungus starts to grow and that’s why they keep eating the eggs.

So far I’ve gotten to the point of having a wiggler, I had a cage around the cone since I wasn’t sure if they would be eaten. I rigged up an air hose for some water flow to get to that wiggler. (I now have methylene blue and pretty sure I had that in the water as well) So I took the cage off thinking their parenting would kick in to find the next day all were eaten.

I read methylene blue has issues with soft water??? Like either fry yolk development or the egg? Would love to know what’s up with that since my tds is around 130-150.

Always appreciate your insight! Thank you!

Reactions: tlindsey

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
Also I think worth noting, they appear to be good parents, when they eat the eggs aside from that one time with the wiggler when I pulled the cage, they seem to just pick them off strategically over days until none are left. So I think with out fungus or mold what ever the white clearing stuff is I don’t think they need a cage

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
(I now have methylene blue and pretty sure I had that in the water as well) So I took the cage off thinking their parenting would kick in to find the next day all were eaten.
Tbh you are probably confusing them by covering the cone. I also suggest don't use Methylene Blue in the main aquarium.
The eggs are very fungus prone if not continually fanned by the parent usually the female. She fans the eggs to supply oxygen and to keep eggs free of debri food etc.
Give them a couple more times to get it right.
If you feel like rearing the eggs yourself then seed a filter now and get airstones and a air pump and have a sterile clean aquarium on standby.

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
Tbh you are probably confusing them by covering the cone. I also suggest don't use Methylene Blue in the main aquarium.
The eggs are very fungus prone if not continually fanned by the parent usually the female. She fans the eggs to supply oxygen and to keep eggs free of debri food etc.
Give them a couple more times to get it right.
If you feel like rearing the eggs yourself then seed a filter now and get airstones and a air pump and have a sterile clean aquarium on standby.
so right now I rotated them back into their “breeder tank” I was wondering if maybe an air stone placed below could help butI think I just need more water changes and let them take care. Also maybe they need to be fed more that was another thing I talked to a friend about

2B71FEF4-0750-431B-B3D9-F414257092E7.jpeg

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
No don't place a airstone near the cone.
Gotcha, I’ll just try and up the water changes. Do you think it’s worth using the methylene blue in that qt tank? 1 teaspoon per 10 gal makes the water pretttty dark blue but it did help get to a wiggler

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store