Discus with white poop

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
Hi, i have a baby discus with white poop for a month now . I placed it in a 10 gal planted for treatment. I did a 10 day metronidazole/ flagyl treatment but it didn't work.2 days ago, i added 1 tbs of Epsom salt. Didn't work. The discus isn't eating pellets, it only eats algae on my plants and on the sides of the tank.
I don't know what to do next, pls help

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Was the metronidazole treatment done in the water? Will the discus eat flakes? Metro works best if ingested.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
"I placed it in a 10 gal planted for treatment."

If the tank has substratum (sand or other), that is not the best. If metro (or other drug) makes the discus to pass worms, he can eat them again and reinfect itself at infinitum. Best is bare bottom, together with constant monitoring so any passed worms can be vacuumed off.
If the discus does not eat, sometimes garlic extract may help elicit feeding response when applied to a known favorite food.
Another possibility is using praziquantel, also in food.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
"I placed it in a 10 gal planted for treatment."

If the tank has substratum (sand or other), that is not the best. If metro (or other drug) makes the discus to pass worms, he can eat them again and reinfect itself at infinitum. Best is bare bottom, together with constant monitoring so any passed worms can be vacuumed off.
If the discus does not eat, sometimes garlic extract may help elicit feeding response when applied to a known favorite food.
Another possibility is using praziquantel, also in food.
I tried garlic, it didn't work. I'll try the bare bottom container. Thx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store