dislocated oscar jaw. need advice!!!

liberator177

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
michigan
i bought my jd with a busted jaw, he was with some 3 inch gold fish (hes 7in) and all he could do was tear there fins a little bit cuz he cant colse his jar or chew food, he only eats freeze dried krill cuz there soft and he doesnt have to chew(damn expensive to)

underwunder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
NJ
Food is chewed in the throat, not with the "jaw" necessarily, so I doubt pellets or "chewy" foods would be a problem. As long as he can gulp them in as small bites without straining he should be OK. Hope he straightens out for you!

I had a con born with a total jaw deformity, it was like a little crooked tube just big enough to suck in flakes. He grew just fine (albeit a little smaller & slower than his siblings) but lived about 7 years or so. He was so crippled I could keep him with goldfish. Couldn't hurt them if he tried!

gyroflare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2007
beijing
thanks for the replys guys
i took these pics today.

looking better?
he seems to be getting used to it, although he still won't eat as much pellets as he used to.

Trouble247

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
No expert gyroflare, but comparing the pics from 2 weeks ago to now, I'd say he's looking much better...

LanceOscarKeeper123

Feeder Fish
May 3, 2024
My oscar is enjured in the exact same way, I was wondering if you have found anything out or if you have figured out how to fix it. He has been way less aggressive but that may be because of some new tank mates I added but I dont know

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store