"Dither fish" for gar/oddball tank?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Sunfish will mess with rays. They are OK with gars as long as they are blue gills or greens. Others will be to bad. A mess of small bluegills would be a great food source and a good distraction for the gars.

I just can't say enough how I would not have the rays with the Trops. IMO not worth the risk.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Pumpkinseed are also friendly for sunfish... You can also breed them seperately and replenish whatever the trops decide to eliminate.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Scott you have officially made me paranoid.... I may have to strip my poor aba of all his driftwood and build a "retreat" for the rays ect from the trops.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
koi seem to do very well with gar! well, as long as you don't fee the gar live food to keep them from eating aggressively.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Scott you have officially made me paranoid.... I may have to strip my poor aba of all his driftwood and build a "retreat" for the rays ect from the trops.
Just saying. I have seen them kill and they have been involved or suspected of ray killings. That alone makes me not risk it.

You should have them by now. You'll see what I mean.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I posted up a bunch of pics in the "Update" thread in the media subforum... and They are doing well so far.. the big one was abit wobbly but they are both swimming and have come up for air a few times now. their colors are also coming back, the water was horrid so I did a quick drip and tossed them in. I pretty much did the same thing I had to do with the cuban when we first got him, didn't need ot test the water could smell how bad it was. I'm not surprized the bags broke seeing how big they are.. beasts! And I'm pretty sure I am going to regret one of imo nicest pictures I got!

so far the most amusing thing is my smaller FLG is infatuated with the smaller trop... hasn't left its side since it hit the water. and the cuban is very wary of them while everyone else is like "HEY DUDES!"

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
I saw that and expanded on what happened with the water and the bags. I bet you had the same though as I did when you first saw them..."oh my damn" they are much larger in person.lol

Oh and the Trops constantly rub each other. If I didn't k ow any better I would say they are a m/f pair.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
It would make sense as the smaller of my FLG is also always rubbing on my bigger one as well or "following".. so may be a "male on male" testing... the big ones been left alone for the most part other then a few touches. I'm waiting for them to shred someone.. I'm guessing it's going to be the FLG.. since someone shredded the cuban the other day...

With how big these guys are ect.. I'm thinking goldfish are good dithers.. lol I can see why you said they'de shred most anything. my LNGs look like pixy sticks next to them.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Pics don't give them the true size they are. I got soaked getting them out. Lol I have found moving gars if you cover their eyes they calm down. I hold them so one hand covers their eyes and the other has their body. You have a few more seconds while they are trying to figure out what happened to the world before the get frisky.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Those tropical gars you bought have killed an african arowana, stingrays, beat up a big catfish, beat up an australian lungfish and almost killed a black arowana as well as cannibalizing smaller gar in a 500 gallon tank.

I hope you are willing to lose fish in your acquisition of them. Pond looks great, I am very happy my old big trops have so much room, makes me more happy than you could imagine. Good luck...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store