DIY 11,000L pond

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
Im will be starting to build a 3x3x1.3m pond with a 14m long - 1m raised garden bed behind it. The garden bed will be used as a aquaponics setup to help filter the pond and willl also contain smaller pools of water for keeping smaller fish in. The water will be pumped up to either end of the garden bed and flow down back to the pond in the middle. The pond will be made from 300cmx20cmx75mm sleepers and stand 80cm above ground and will dug out 50cm below ground. Eventually I plan on adding a 6x2x2 10mm viewing window once an adjacent entertainment area is setup, but for now and for safety sake it will just be sleepers. As of right now I am unsure of what stock to add, I was think along the lines of a Murray Cod and a 1/2 dozen of both Silver and Golden perch. Work starts tomorrow arvo so lets see how it goes :D

Sorry for the dodgy plans, autoCAD aint working...

Pond.png

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Nova 8

Pond.png

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
As this is planning stages, add a bottom drain to the pond, it's the single most important addition to a pond design.

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
Do you mean in the middle of the pond or on one of the walls at the bottom.

I managed to get a little done today before I was chased away by the rain. I'll be adding a 90cm beam every 1.5m to pull it all square, this will be place 1/2 way up 50cm from the ground. I wanna fill some dirt in first before adding the beam cause its gonna be a pain once in. I also need a 90* bend for the conduit and downpipe buried underneath the garden bed so I can fill up the end. I'll be getting those later tonight.

Pond started.jpg

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Looking good! :) Maybe some catfish? :) you got some nice species in Aus.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Wow. Whatwill you keep in there?

Dan86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Gladstone, QLD, AUSTRALIA
From a fellow aussie, very Nice work mate.
You gotta get a murray cod, such a awesome big fish. Mines around 25cms at moment, full of colour & heaps of character.

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
Plan in the pond right now is a Murray Cod, 6 Silver perch, 6 Golden Perch and maybe some Tandanis catfish. In the garden bed will also be smaller ponds ranging from 500-200L which will house smaller species. Im going for native Aaustralian fish mainly from the Murray-Darlin basin. Hopefully I get a chance to do some work tonight without a storm blowing in...

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Agreed

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
I hope it turns out good as well. The idea is there but I havent really planned it out all that much, been planning other - more interesting things :naughty:. Im building a shed and need to level the area and needed a place for the dirt :p Big long garden bed with a pond attacted to it seemed like a cool idea so Ive just ran with it. As its going to be divided in the middle by the pond one section will be long term planting so the entertainment area looks nice and the other section will be veggies and herbs with a few long terms plants as well. Im probably going to make a bridge type system for the veggies and herbs so their roots can hang into the water but so it can easily be lifted out harvested and replanted.

So far I've got one 3m section complete and 80% filled with dirt but since its christmas time work has been busy (working 7 days). My father also injured himself so I've had to go help them with some stuff at thier place taking time off my projects. Right now I hope to have the garden bed all built tomorrow then I'll hopefully have it filled by friday... hopefully...

pond 3.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store