DIY 180 gallon sump critique

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
This is how I have my sump setup, it’s very basic. First chamber for the drains and socks if needs, second is the pre-filter and fluidized bio balls, and third is bio media and returns. There’s about 4000gph running through it, and it has a emergency overflow plumbed to sewer. This design could handle more flow as well. View attachment 1399875

Can you not see the almost identical design this is to mine? Let me revise it here using your photo. In mine, after the moving media, the flow comes out the bottom and into my bacteria box, then flows over a baffle to the pump area. In yours, you make it flow over the baffle first - right after the moving media and then leave the larger box to hold your bacteria box and pump.

I flipped your photo to match mine - the flow is left to right in both. sump 12.22.19.jpeg

999000099.jpeg

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Can you not see the almost identical design this is to mine? Let me revise it here using your photo. In mine, after the moving media, the flow comes out the bottom and into my bacteria box, then flows over a baffle to the pump area. In yours, you make it flow over the baffle first - right after the moving media and then leave the larger box to hold your bacteria box and pump.

I flipped your photo to match mine - the flow is left to right in both. View attachment 1399974

View attachment 1399972
Since, you didn’t answer my question I’ll take that as a none. If you did you would understand why the need for the large return section. People running tanks this large usually run 300 gallon ibc totes or similar to feed their return pumps. There’s no need to worry about running the sumps dry. Their tanks are plumbed properly and what ever water goes up to the display, returns back to the sump. Your sump design is really nice sump for a 150 gallon aquarium, but the return is only about 10 percent of the total volume of the sump. That wouldn’t work for the OPs size aquarium. My design the return section is 75 percent of the total sump volume. This leaves plenty of water for the two monster return pumps.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Not sure if any of that info is helpful for you, good luck!

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
TheWolfman TheWolfman , could the flow rate/overpumping issue be mitigated with a larger diameter inlet (from tank) pipe?
or am I not understanding...

I've got 2x parallel 1.5" lines installed already for this 250USGal in-wall, and am hoping this will keep it fed. If not, I'll
commandeer one of the return pipes for 3x 1.5" down, 1x 1.5" return.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
TheWolfman TheWolfman , could the flow rate/overpumping issue be mitigated with a larger diameter inlet (from tank) pipe?
or am I not understanding...

I've got 2x parallel 1.5" lines installed already for this 250USGal in-wall, and am hoping this will keep it fed. If not, I'll
commandeer one of the return pipes for 3x 1.5" down, 1x 1.5" return.
The issue is the size of the return chamber and the target flow rate in this case. It takes time for the water to fill the tank, the overflow, all the plumbing and then make it through all the chambers in the sump before the return pumps empty the return compartment. With a larger return section in the sump this becomes less of a issue.

In regard to your question, I can’t properly answer because I don’t know your target turnover. But generally if your feeding the tank with two 1-1/2” returns. I would have more then two 1 1/2” drains.

Reactions: andyroo and Zanzag

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
I dont‘t understand the Design of the chamber after the k1 media with the sponge filter.
I would overthink the Design of this chamber.
Should the water flow through the small gap at the bottom ?
Normaly you have glas walls with different hights where the water can flow through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store