DIY - Add On Filtration For Canister Filters

Koji

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
I believe many have come across tap water filtration canister. I have 2 been kept in the store room for a very long time and found them in there while doing some house keeping some nights ago.

Looking at them I decided to wash them up and DIY them as my add on to my current canister filter for more bio filtration with my spare bio media.

Basically you need the empty canister, 2 outlets (for my case I'm using my spare ehiem one which work just nice), a PVC pipe with holes drilled/made near the bottom and finally some small sized media.
Items you need

Fix the ehiem outlet to both sides of the canister's cover

Now you need this small piece of plastic netting. Reason why, it's to prevent media been stuck in the cover's opening which will jam everything up.

Put the PVC piping into the canister like so. The small holes should be below and not the top.

Now fill the canister up with small sized media. I made sure these media are PH neutral.

Finally, cap it tight like so and just attach to your canister filter's outlet. (Spraying the outside of this add on black is optional unless you are placing it in a dark place)

I have one running from my canister for some time before I make another one just for illustration purposes.

Attached to my dirty canister...:eek:

The connection straight from the canister filter's outlet

The media I'm using are small sinter glass rings

A rough diagram on how the system work. It's actually the reverse of water flow in there compared to when you're actually using the tap filters properly.

The reason being is that we need to direct the water to flow to the base and travel up to the top. In order to do so, the water have to pass through all the media in there. And not to mention water which are passing through are already filtered thus won't have any clogging issue in there.

Reactions: millerkid519
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store