diy canister filter?

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
the lava rock was used for two reasons one it was cheap and available on a sunday two is after great debate we found that the scrubies were being forced into the outlet end under pressure and slowing flow considerably,even with a grate installed. so maybe not the final media but being used on this test run. the tube is about 2" higher on the outlet end to help remove traped air. the air comes out in small surge bubbles about every ten seconds when the is air on. and yes it is on. i also have never seen this done hense all the ?'s it just seems too simple not to work. and i am still tring to get home to get the pics hopefully today otherwise tommorow morning

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
unstopable4700;663939; said:
DR. JOE the avatars are of one of our race engines that we melted down melted 5 of 8 pistons and still finished the race:headbang2
Now it makes sense...Those aren't popup pistons there popouts :screwy:

unstopable4700;663953; said:
i think oddball hates me:cry: either that or he is a negative nelly. not enuf media one could always plumb in more tubes. 4 wide under the tank 6' foot long thats 24' of 6" pipe bet thats bigger than any commercialy available system. the main goal here is to make a working system and if it needs more capacity thats the easy part

Oddballs an insensitive bafoon, ignor him...

And you can't just think it you have to say it (adding more pipes for more media etc, remember who Oddball has to deal with sometimes ! )

unstopable4700;663959; said:
also does there really need to be a dry area per say. if the water is heavly aerated? especially with being aerated inside the tube
Not necessarily.

Oddball;664056; said:
Wow, don't know where you got the "hate" feelin from. If you'd rather I blow sunshine up you whazoo and greenlight your original design, I can do that.
Are you planning on lava rock for the final assembly? Lava rock has only 34 sq/ft per gallon of surface area for nitrifying bacteria to adhere to. You'd be better off going with plastic pot scrubbie pads that will provide 370 sq/ft of surface area per gallon. They'll also allow for better water flow and have less stagnation contact points then lava rock.
Don't worry about him Oddball He's one of those sissy girlie types.

I agree on the lava rock. (he can use it in his flower garden)

Oddball;664062; said:
The air injection should work. I've just never seen an application done like this to say with any certainty. I would place a little upward angle to the main body of the PVC canister to ensure most of the O2 expended air travels up the tank-return line past the end cap taper.
I built several of these as proof of perforamce prototypes (I'm not supposed to talk about them so don't tell anybody)

wizzin;664192; said:
I like it! I would think that if you tilted the tube and put a pressure release valve at the top like this: http://www.plastomatic.com/arv.html That would solve your air buildup, however, I would wonder if the pump pressure wouldn't push the air right out the "return to tank" line. That's if you used a 2600gph pump as suggested, however, I think that's overkill. 8x T.O.? what happened to 2x?

Not to derail too much, but do you realize the current an 8x turnover would create in this tank? The water would be a turbid mess IMO. If you recall, Milkman used a 2400gph pump on his 600 and it was pushing the fish all over the place and he had to get a smaller pump.

It's more important to have an balanced turnover with contact time with the bacteria. I think an 8x T.O. on a 300gal even with 12gal of biomedia isn't going to give enough contact time with the BB to be effective. I'd go with a 600gph and use pot scrubbies like Oddball said.

I like that check valve.

unstopable4700;664224; said:
the lava rock was used for two reasons one it was cheap and available on a sunday two is after great debate we found that the scrubies were being forced into the outlet end under pressure and slowing flow considerably,even with a grate installed. so maybe not the final media but being used on this test run. the tube is about 2" higher on the outlet end to help remove traped air. the air comes out in small surge bubbles about every ten seconds when the is air on. and yes it is on. i also have never seen this done hense all the ?'s it just seems too simple not to work. and i am still tring to get home to get the pics hopefully today otherwise tommorow morning

Ok, now that you two are friends again :D ...

I could tell you how to fix the problem with the scrubbies, but I'll do one better... Use floor scrubbing / waxing pads http://www.restockit.com/Floor-Maintenance-Applicators-Pads-and-Floor-Pads.html cut ot fit, there very stiff.

I built several of these as proof of perforamce prototypes (I'm not supposed to talk about them so don't tell anybody)

PIX...PIX...PIX. :)drool: )

Dr Joe

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
All Right! :headbang2

That wasn't so hard was it...;)

I used right angle bulkheads, just as a point of order :D .

So now comes the hard part...Waiting...and Testing...and Testing...and Testing...

Is the other filter already cycled?

Did you seed this one?

What's the bio-load going to be?

And seriously, your wife is really happy with this?! I want to see a pic of her smiling...:D

Good work.

Dr Joe

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
i looked for 90's to no avail. the other filter has been running for three years and has been doing a good job or so i thought. after just 1 day the water was noticeably clearer. gonna wait a few more days to test the water. there is 5 africans in that tank and a pleco not too much load. she is happy that water hasnt exploded all over and since this is just a test and the 55 will be gone soon its ok. the real deal will be under the stand out of sight. wanted to be able to keep an eye on this one. it seems to be working well hopfully better on the big one with differnt media. thanks for all the help. ill post my new tank and a better detailed build soon.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
I trust all is still well...? or did your wife blugen you with it for some unknown reason. :D

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store