DIY Coil Denitrator

L.BelcherII

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Work
So after some research, I've uncovered plans for a coil denitrator. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of thing. It is said that it can help lower nitrates. I'm not expecting to lessen my current water change schedule with this, I was just wondering if I couldn't use it to really drop the hammer on a budding nitrate problem.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/blank/bldondiydenitratornew.htm
these are the plans for it.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I haven't use one but it is said the airline coils are too small and they plug up quickly. From my experience, some tanks will produce more tube plugging goo than others. High bio-loads are the contributors. The more food (nitrates, etc.) for the bacteria, the faster they will plug the tubing. If you have the space for larger tubing, you will get a better life out of it.

eh1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2005
*indiana*
very interesting read
sounds like it would work. the only thing i would do different would be to make a lid that can be removed just incase you ever had a problem with it

mike

L.BelcherII

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Work
I"m going to build it with threaded PVC, so that if need be I can remove the ends and thoroughly clean it out. I was thinking of using scrubbies instead of bioballs too.

eh1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2005
*indiana*
scrubbies are what i was thinking also
good find bro
now you have my wheels turning

mike

JardiniBoy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
Taipei
www.reddragons.sc
I have two running on my tank, but I'm unsure as to their effects as I've only just started testing my nitrates and they are (still) through the roof.I would suggest looking into including sulphur into the anaerobic column as this provides a food source for the denitrifying bacteria.

They're easy and cheap to make so my suggestion would be to go for it as it will add to our collective knowledge here on MFK when you post your results. :D

Good luck!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
JardiniBoy;695186; said:
I have two running on my tank, but I'm unsure as to their effects as I've only just started testing my nitrates and they are (still) through the roof.I would suggest looking into including sulphur into the anaerobic column as this provides a food source for the denitrifying bacteria.

They're easy and cheap to make so my suggestion would be to go for it as it will add to our collective knowledge here on MFK when you post your results. :D

Good luck!

(I thought you were on vacation?! :D )

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
L.BelcherII;694895; said:
So after some research, I've uncovered plans for a coil denitrator. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of thing. It is said that it can help lower nitrates. I'm not expecting to lessen my current water change schedule with this, I was just wondering if I couldn't use it to really drop the hammer on a budding nitrate problem.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/blank/bldondiydenitratornew.htm
these are the plans for it.

Are you wanting it for a S/W or F/W tank?

Don't expect any quick results, these units are very slow reacting and at a very low flow... used mainly on S/W to save on salt useage from W/C's.

Put them on the same level as protien skimmers for F/W.

I've had them take 3-6 months to show an marked change and one good shot of oxygenated water and you start all over again.

If you want to try, it won't hurt as long as the anerobic bacteria don't gas into the tank (alway mix waters before reinserting in tank).

Best to invest the money in a more convenient way of doing W/C's (if F/W) so you do them on schedule.

Dr Joe

JardiniBoy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
Taipei
www.reddragons.sc
Dr Joe;695220; said:
(I thought you were on vacation?! :D )
I am! ;)

I still think the OP should try the denitrator because they don't have to be expensive to make at all.

FWIW

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
JardiniBoy;695466; said:
I am! ;)

I still think the OP should try the denitrator because they don't have to be expensive to make at all.

FWIW

:thumbsup:

&

:thumbsup: .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store