DIY down and dirty 90g/40b sump on the cheap (ballin' on a budget)

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Nice.
Looking at that water bottle, it looks like a great DIY K1 setup! I might try something for my 50gl corner tank

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Everything is looking good! Do have a question for you though. I was under the impression that ball valves should be used on a herbie rather than a gate value. Gate valves should be run either full open or full closed where as ball valves can be used to adjust the flow. So just curious if you went with the gate valves for a reason?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I always thought it were the opposite. A gate valve has a long auger or screw which raises and lowers a large square block vertically up and down. It takes several full spins lock to lock. It gives me some fine tuning ability.

A high quality ball valve would work as well. But theres not alot of precision. Its an open or closed deal. I think it's only a quarter turn on a ball valve from open to closed.

The gate valves were special ordered off the internets. I guess if they dont work out im just out 10 bucks and a trip to the local hardware store.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
You may be thinking of a boiler valve? Those are chambered and are similar to a gate valve but internally the inlet and outlet are sort of offset and don't allow for good flow. The closing mechanism is more like a round plunger that blocks a small hole between the inlet and outlet.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1407997251842.jpg
About 10 hours of hand sanding/blocking. Used almost a whole16oz container of wood filler in several light coats followed by sanding on all the seams. It feels like 1 solid piece of wood. Only paint will tell for sure.

Word to the wise, this is the speed bump you'll hit if you race through the stand building and you want it to look half way decent. Cut corners came back to bite me when it came to finishing.

Also buy good lumber. Just sayin

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Well I looked into it a bit more, seems both of us are right. Reading through several write ups people have used both. Ball valves are a little harder to fine tune but work as well. From the links I've found it looks like in applications under pressure gate valves are not so good for restricting flow-

https://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/dep...ormulas/Pages/valvebasicsandselectiontips.htm

http://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing/valves/plumbing-valve-basics/view-all

So for your application it looks like you should be good to go. I actually picked up a ball valve for mine a couple nights ago, I'll be assembling my plumbing this weekend I hope, I'll have to let you know how it goes. Carry on good sir! Stand is looking great

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Ive heard some people say gate valves are more prone to leak. they also are supposed to clog easier, most of the info I can find comes From marine setups. Factors are alot different for freshwater. Im using slipxslip bulkheads and "porting" (dunno what you would call it, machining a smooth edge on the inside of the pvc) the pipes to help flow rates and ease of the siphon starting. Im only gluing the exterior pieces of pipe so hopefully I can just remove bulkheads if I need to change the plumbing. Ill be doing alot of testing in the basement on the system before it goes in the dining room.

Let me know how your plumbing goes. Im still a ways out, wont be getting my tank home for a few days.

uploadfromtaptalk1408036865391.jpg
Only spent $30 on paint. The panels and doors will be a dark gray (leftover from painting my bathroom also mildew resistant) the trim will be a semigloss black. And I have zinnser mildew paint for the sump. Got the gallon of primer for $11 on clearance. Score.

uploadfromtaptalk1408037008555.jpg
The primer revealed some of the faults I the stand, but overall im happy

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1408213717972.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408213771765.jpg

Its getting real

So pumped. First tank I've bought new except maybe a couple 10g's.

Lets hope this mega flow deal is worth the hype. Looks like itll pull through the whole water column.

2 one inch bulk heads. Whaaaaaaa

Im a little concerned about the dimensions. My old 75g and aqueon gave me dimensions of 48x18. I made the stand 48.25x18.25 it looks like the tank is 48.5x18.5 itll be a tight fit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store