diy fiberglass help, making bottom decoration

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
Ok so years ago i made a decoration for the bottom of the tank, i used foam and cement. I never used it. For my sons 55 gallon he and i are making another bottom decoration but using fiberglass , resin, foam, and paint. Here is the question.

1. Which resin and catalyst should be used. I went to the local plastic store and they sell surfboard resin which should be find on foam, but the catalyst he thinks would eat into the foam I bought from the hardware store. This worries me.

2. Is there a name brand to look for that would work? I am worried about all the hard work, 5 hours or so being lost, I was going to sheet the whole decor but I feel I will lose some of the definition of the item, I think I will cut strips and do it this way, I would assume I don't need to many layers, as it's not weight bearing and is only for decoration.

Can anyone assist with this project, I need to start it tonight so I can work all weekend on it, he wants to work with GBR fish, and this hobby needs to get going.

thanks in advance
David

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
I saw the urajoey build online, his showed no signs of the styrofoam melting at all, he hasn't replied though. The catylist they sell there that goes with the surfboard resin is what he thinks will eat the foam.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
The resin will melt the styrofoam... but when i used it, i didnt care... it added a ton of character, and i ended up removing the styrofoam completely anyways, as planned..

So if you dont mind loosing detail, go for it.

I didnt find it melted it that badly..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store