DIY filter from old canister filter

Starting up

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
australia
Hi all. it's been a long time since I've posted. I set up a small 1ft tank the other day for my young son and have some plants in there at the moment. on a walk we found a used 2212 with the lead cut off and I garbed it for the taps. I was thinking of using a small power head on the input house to the canister and placing the filter next to the tank. anyone see any problem's with this?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all. it's been a long time since I've posted. I set up a small 1ft tank the other day for my young son and have some plants in there at the moment. on a walk we found a used 2212 with the lead cut off and I garbed it for the taps. I was thinking of using a small power head on the input house to the canister and placing the filter next to the tank. anyone see any problem's with this?
If possible post a pic of the filter.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It should not be a problem. The powerhead needs to be strong enough to get the water through (it should). The hardest part will be to prime it (shouldn't be too bad either), but it should work.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
it can be done. put the motor on the output to lessen the load - it sucks instead of pushing water through the filter. Using gravity, the water will feed directy to the bucket (through the media) and the motor pulls in the water going to the tank - same concept as eheim 2260. To prime it, just put a garden hose on the inlet (place the inlet end inside the tank) until all air are expelled - gravity will then do the rest. Also take off the impeller to make sure water flow through well.

This can be done on almost all canister filter specially if the motor died - salvaging them instead of throwing them out.

Starting up

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
australia
1658886336904.png
not the unit but you get it. i have a small power head i was going to use and have the canister sitting next to the tank to reduce the pressure on seals. I think the canister will be taller than the tank

TUCCI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2018
Colorado
I’m a die-hard Eheim user….using a 2217 and a 200L penguin on a 75g. Moves a lot of water and keeps the water sparkling.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Same concept as modular filters where you have a central pump and attach one or a series of canisters, whether for a single tank, a fish room full of tanks, a whole fish store, etc. Several companies make such canisters. I used to see this more often, I did a version of it myself years ago.

A DIY version is making a filter out of a 5 gal bucket and a pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUCCI and tlindsey

TUCCI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2018
Colorado
When I lived in AZ I hooked two 2215s in series on a 125g. Rinsed 1 canister every other month. Worked well.....since then learned to use an HOB backup should a failure occur.

TUCCI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2018
Colorado
Same concept as modular filters where you have a central pump and attach one or a series of canisters, whether for a single tank, a fish room full of tanks, a whole fish store, etc. Several companies make such canisters. I used to see this more often, I did a version of it myself years ago.

A DIY version is making a filter out of a 5 gal bucket and a pump.
As innovative as those 5gal bucket filters are, I would need to beta test a prototype before risking a leak. I put a prototype together at one point then decided not to use it. If a 5gal bucket was made with thicker walls I would have had more confidence in the outcome. The space below the stand isn't always conducive to placing a 5gal bucket with all the room needed for pcv piping. By the time you have all the needed parts components you could buy a 2217 with a tried and true cred.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Was never tempted to do the 5 gal bucket thing. Some people enjoy all the tinkering, me not so much. :)

Some of the modular systems I used to see were pretty high end. I think Sea Clear was one of them, now I see a company called Nu Clear making what looks like the same units. Lifegard was another, different style with smaller individual units-- they're still around.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store