DIY filter from old canister filter

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Hi all. it's been a long time since I've posted. I set up a small 1ft tank the other day for my young son and have some plants in there at the moment. on a walk we found a used 2212 with the lead cut off and I garbed it for the taps. I was thinking of using a small power head on the input house to the canister and placing the filter next to the tank. anyone see any problem's with this?
I ran one fluval 404 like that for years, it was much better having the power head on the outlet. If it was on the inlet the cannister would start leaking once it clogged up a bit and built up a little pressure. On the other hand, on the outlet the powerhead would start cavitating when clogged up. That was harmless and just annoying though.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
View attachment 1500089

This is the pump im thinking of using and the filter next to the tank. only a small pump as don't need lots of flow
You may have gravity issue. Can you place it lower or under the table holding the tank? Motor will struggle if you push water through the filter. I suggest gravity dragging water to the filter and the motor pumping it inside the tank.

Inlet (inside the tank) to canister (by gravity) to motor inside the tank - less resistance.

Others may have other ways of doing it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store