DIY Glass vs Plywood

Tyranie909

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2012
NC
You can use bulkheads in the bottom with pvc pipe coming out of them with a sump. Thats how I ran my old tank. Depending on how deep your tank is, you can actually kill a canister filter by plumbing it through the bottom of the tank. Often times they can't handle the preasure when ran like that. There is always a debate on canister vs sump. Personally I like both, but for large tanks I would drill it and run a sump. Since you are still in the building stages, you could make an overflow on your box. Basically attach a box and make a cutout in the back or side of your tank for it. From there you could plumb your bulkheads out of view.

xyz12373317

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Idaho
I live in Burley, but I am currently in Woodland Hills Utah. I want to run from the bottom so I can get the tank clean easily. I also hope to have enough lighting for a duck weed cover. I don't know if it is possible to grow it fast enough to keep up with tropheus and pseudotropheus, but that would be my goal.

Rivermud, can you go into the details of where you put each bulckhead and why. I am trying to get my head around how your sytem works but I am not sure. Are there only 2 bulkheads? Are the upper pieces coming through the tank or are they just to hold the piping. Is that why the clamp is on? Which bulkhead do I buy to attach pvc?

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
I live in Burley, but I am currently in Woodland Hills Utah. I want to run from the bottom so I can get the tank clean easily. I also hope to have enough lighting for a duck weed cover. I don't know if it is possible to grow it fast enough to keep up with tropheus and pseudotropheus, but that would be my goal.

Rivermud, can you go into the details of where you put each bulckhead and why. I am trying to get my head around how your sytem works but I am not sure. Are there only 2 bulkheads? Are the upper pieces coming through the tank or are they just to hold the piping. Is that why the clamp is on? Which bulkhead do I buy to attach pvc?
Okay, thats a lot of questions in a short paragraph... let's see how to start...

The system works like any other overflow, the top of the overflow determines the water height. I have 2 other lines with ball valves on them to open or close for a 30% water change or near 100%. I chose not to put my bulkheads on the bottom of the tank for many reasons: Screening out substrate, transporting or moving the tank would be very difficult, interferes with decor, near impossible to work on if it failed as one hand needs to be in the tank and the other outside the tank to turn the bulkhead.... literally loads of reasons I chose the back bottom of the tank rather than the bottom.

Overflow Plumbing.GIF

If you look at the drawing above, the bulkheads are at the bottom corners of the image (the drop down half circle part). From there the water flows up to the top of the pipe where I've set my water depth. the water then flows horizontally to the center pipe and down to the sump. the next pipe down from the top is my 30% water change valve and the one below that is my full drain valve (well near full drain). I've rebuilt the design since I originally made it with larger pipe as my flow wasn't where I wanted it, I had a bottleneck at my bulkheads... I was running 3/8's due to trying to use untested bulkheads. I now have 1" bulkheads going to 1" pipe that in turn goes to a 1.5" downpipe. Speaking of the downpipe.. there is more to it still..

to hose.GIF

The picture above shows the plumbing down to the sump on the center downpipe. I have added 2 ball valves, one to the sump and one to the drain or hose line. If i close the sump valve and open the drain valve the water gets set out through a hose I have attached to it. I can also use this same setup to fill the tank back up. So, basically once a week I turn the water pump off, close the valve to the sump, open the valve to the hose, then open the 30% valve. Within a minute or two I have completed my 30% drain. At this point I hook my line up to my treated water barrel and open the spigot to refill.

103_0140.JPG

The clamp you see was put there to hold the overflow in place because I had used flexible pvc to attach the overflow to my bulkhead and it would sag. I added the weird wooden peice you can see in the picture to help support the overflow but it hadn't fully cured at the time of the photo so I left the clamp on. the other clamp was to hold the hose in place. The pvc you see going to the tank is actually just spacers i installed for the same reason.. the flexible pvc was just a bear and the bulkhead was a pain. They aren't necessary if you build it with a proper bulkhead and use good schedule 40 pvc.

Hopefully that answered your questions. Feel free to ask more if I didn't explain something well enough.. i have a bad habit of typing as if people know what i am talking about.

Overflow Plumbing.GIF

to hose.GIF

103_0140.JPG

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
One part I didn't add that bears mentioning... if you look at the photos from the front you can see a piece of pvc sticking up. that is for my breather hole to prevent my bulkhead from becoming a loop siphon. You must have a breather hole with any overflow that has a closed loop and draws water from below the top water line otherwise you risk a siphon forming and draining your tank to the level of the overflow intake. I have loads more experience with this now as I actually work with siphons (loop and bell) for my aquaponics growbed fill and drain system.

As for what bulkhead to buy, Grovers in Twin Falls on Eastland and Kimberly road carries 1" pvc bulkheads. They also carry all the pvc and fittings you'll need at a good price. I bought everything I used for plumbing there. I would take a few drawings or pictures of what you want along with measurements. they have a service counter there, grab a number and get one of them to help you.. it makes everything sooooo much easier.. they really know their stuff and are very helpful.

xyz12373317

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Idaho
I ordered max acr in white and began painting since the last pic. I really like this stuff. If I were to do it again I would do all the glass work in fiberglass resin, and then paint over it in epoxy. I used epoxy and fiberglass on the interior and fiberglass eat up epoxy. The interior here was done with 5 quarts.

xyz12373317

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Idaho
Let's see if I can update this thread. I have had this tank up and running for a while. How do I take pics off my iphone?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store