diy lighting for a 400 gallon

bgk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2008
atherton
i need some help with lighting for a 400 gallon marine reef i will need medium-high light levels and want something timed so it will be trouble free. I want moonlights and if there is something that can do this, i want the timer to dim the lights before the moonlights start. i have seen a fixture like this but it is about $7000 which is only a little expensive :screwy:. i think i need halide I,m not sure but i know i need about 6 watts of light per gallon or liter i forgot. i really need help from the pros here.

PS: i want to know how many lights and where to get them and fans to cool it thanks anyone. Also my uncle an electritian well he owns the company so if i'm dumbfounded i can always ask him.

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
Idea:

Sky lights or build outside - saves on power and gives you the real thing.

forgottenx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2010
ca
Griller;4308317; said:
Idea:

Sky lights or build outside - saves on power and gives you the real thing.
not the right kind of light, the window glass filters out some of the light, and outside we dont get the correct amount of time for optimal growth.

Since my build is a planted fresh water i wont be able to offer any advice, and since i dont know any reefers i cant even point you towards the proper direction

Alhazred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2009
California
I dont have alot of DYI experiance but i can help you with what you will need.

first i dont like measureing watts per gallon as it is really just a loose rule of thumb. and when you start talking different types of lights it becomes worthless.

Here is a good break down for light when working with corals including and explination of the light measurements you will need to design your light.

http://www.reefkeepingfever.com/lighting.htm

bgk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2008
atherton
thanks i read the reef lighting website it was very interesting and has helped me alot i still think i need a metal halide because the tank is 3 feet deep but the dimmer timer can i think help still for the corals and fish to survive keep giving info pls and any websites where you can purchase these things thanks.:):):)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store