DIY live rock / artificial reefs

kingofthejungle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2012
Virginia
Is there a benefit to using the epoxy material over the diy cement live rock? How is the cure time. It seems to me that is the biggest factor. The epoxy should be ready way quicker.

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
I still haven't started yet lol I've been busy. Hopefully this weekend I can make one

About concrete. This stuff is sticky so you can cover PVC pipes ect so it is more manageable than concrete. Tho I guess if you had concrete you could paint it and seal it with clear epoxy just the same and not have to wait for the concrete to cure

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
You can't just find some rocks that have that same look? That would be way easier than this unless you just like doing DIY stuff. A trip to a nearby river access point usually does the trick for me.

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
Hey spiff. Remember I'm a saltwater guy

I'm building caverns or branch rock to resemble what one finds in the ocean. Will be painting with hues of purple browns greens and oranges to imitate the coralline algae

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
PA
Not to blow on your idea which is interesting but I have used caribsea coral rock and painted it w Krylon fusion paints let dry for 1 full week and have done several tanks w great effect , just another way to go, fish are nver harmed and one tank setup for greater than one year now, good luck.

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
Yea u thought about the fusion paint. I don't understand how it's fish safe tho lol. I've looked at the I gredients and there are all kinda of crap in it lol

I may use krylon paint and then seal with the clear epoxy. I want this stuff to hold up if I have to scrub it

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Don't forget to post the name of the product(s) so others can try it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store