DIY Nitrate Removel System

sharpy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
What do you think about them? Do you have one? Did you make it, or buy it? If you made it please enlighten us with a picture, plans, maintenance, ideas. If you don't have one are you planing to make one/buy one any time soon? Share.

Daddyo72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2005
Generally a bad idea. I assume your referring to a denitrator. The whole thing hinges on the rate of water flow. Too slow and it does nothing. Too fast and it creates Hydrogen Sulfides which can kill your fish and in large doses, humans. Try the sump and bio tower combo.

http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/Sasala/wet-dry.html

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
waste

freeform

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
red dot island
Daddyo72 said:
Generally a bad idea. I assume your referring to a denitrator. The whole thing hinges on the rate of water flow. Too slow and it does nothing. Too fast and it creates Hydrogen Sulfides which can kill your fish and in large doses, humans. Try the sump and bio tower combo.

http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/Sasala/wet-dry.html
well said. i think water change is the best way.

Phtstrat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Gainesville, FL
Daddyo72 said:
Ever tried a fluidized sand bed filter?
They are excellent for bio-filtration. Most retail pet stores use them for their sump system.

As for getting nitrates out of the tank, just do a water change. I mean how lazy have we become that the one simple maintenance task for aquarists is bothering people.

I have heard of constant overflow systems that run water directly from the pipe to your tank (after some in-line filtration) and the overflow water is simply drained out as wastewater. This is the only way I've seen that keeps nitrates down, but is extremely expensive and complicated to do.

h2orealm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
De-nitrator are a good idea but not great in reality. Nothing beats regular water change. FBF does a great job of reducing amonia and nitrite but nitrate does not get processed because there's too much oxygen in the water pump through it. You need low to no oxygen areas for the anarobic bateria to do its job of coverting NH3 (nitrate) to N (nitrogen) gas.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Its one of those things that sound good in theory but.Waterchanges are more effective -Anne

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store