my reef tanks have 2-2" over flows and 2- 1" returns
But how much flow do you have??

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
nfored;1840529; said:
I have heard that anything over 1.5 is a waste when it comes to they overflow outlined in the DIY sticky.
You are perpetuating a myth that just won't die :banhim:

...bad nfored, bad...

Now go sit in time out :grinno:

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
nfored;1840529; said:
I have heard that anything over 1.5 is a waste when it comes to they overflow outlined in the DIY sticky.
Its hard to comment on something that you are not sure of
Fish Eat Fish;1840974; said:
why is that?
It really depends on how strong is your pumps but its still better to have multiple ones than 1 big pipe coz you need to initially manually suck them or fill the whole pipe with water to start the flow
rallysman;1840999; said:
Your best bet will be to drill the tank. That's some serious flow.
I wont risk my tank
How big is the tank (out of curiosity)
dr_sudz;1842250; said:
I have personally drilled a tank before, its not that hard, really you could do it yourself. just make sure that the drill cuts the glass, your not trying to shove the bit through the glass. Just enough pressure to allow the teeth to grind the glass away, just make sure that you wear ear plugs and have water to pour over the glass as you cut. having someone else there is helpful.
We are not all pros,a fault can make a crack after a week or sooner

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
mercury904;1844368; said:
We are not all pros,a fault can make a crack after a week or sooner
Not really...

Those cracks that show up after a succesfull drill are due to heat stressing of the glass. Heat stressing is easily avoidable by simply keeping water flowing during the cutting process, keeping the cut groove flushed out, and not running the drill at high speed.

Any amature that can follow these three simple rules can drill like a pro (Ron Jeremy jokes withheld).

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
CHOMPERS;1845038; said:
Not really...

Those cracks that show up after a succesfull drill are due to heat stressing of the glass. Heat stressing is easily avoidable by simply keeping water flowing during the cutting process, keeping the cut groove flushed out, and not running the drill at high speed.

Any amature that can follow these three simple rules can drill like a pro (Ron Jeremy jokes withheld).
I met Ron Jeremy...shook his hand

Now I always have to wear a latex glove when i meet new people:ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store