DIY Sand Vac--NOT PYTHON

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
so before i start i just want to say that every on MFK is awesome and i completely take advice and opinions on here very seriously. with that being said i just want ideas on how to best accomplish what i am proposing. I KNOW that you should be changing water regularly and that a python will suction gravel/sand-(i have one from a waterbed drain/fill and extensions).

my issue come to this, my 150g is a 4x2x30" with sand- using the python is a pain due to the fact that;
1. i can't efficiently stand on the side to watch what i'm cleaning while also stand above and easily manuever the hose easily
2. if i touch the sand it will suck up huge amounts and i have to crimp the hose to make it settle
3. it barely can pick up pleco poo unless i help it along-yet will suck up small java ferns like a-well i'll stop there;)
4. lastly and most importantly in order to provide adequate suction via python i would drain my tank before it is clean(to my liking) and i don't want to be doing w/c every day-hassle and bad for my fish

so for anyone still sticking around:grinno: thanks

i want to build a air driven vac- i fiqure on using a air pump with a splitter and adjuster to control air flow and have multiple air inlets for better lift. i wanted to know if anyone who has either used or made one of these has any hints as to where to place air lines, what size tubing and mostly the best way to attach stocking or filter sock to catch mulm. here's my basic ideas-red dots being poo/light blue air bubbles/dark blue water/brown nylon pantyhose(or a filter sock if i decide to get fancy:WHOA:)
View attachment vac.bmp

my main questions are if you guys would have the opening above water level, i did so from the FEW refs i could find on the net mostly relating to mining. how to best catch rather than fling the poo. and pipe sizing.

i'm going to build a quick prototype in the next couple days to start testing but i really want to make a nice one i can use easily.
so basically i have no problem spending hours suctioning my tank i just want to be able to keep the water in there, not worrying about oh crap i better hurry and get the corner before i'm doing a 75% w/c. (think money for conditioner as well as convinience.

thanks as always and just want to say you all are an inspiration to many of us that see that fishkeeping is not just like watching a tv but can be something f'n extrordinary! (d---, i mean darn computer keeps highlighting my words, must be comin down with a horrendous case of sailors mouth:grinno:)

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
bump?
no one-i know these aren't the most popular but i thought someone else might have the same problems i do

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
The picture on the right and no opening. The water does not have to flow out of the tube at the top. And even if it was open you would have to have a major air pump to force water up and over just using bubbles. But the picture on the right looks like my marineland one. I do not use it anymore at all. But I do not use sand etheir. I just switched to smaller tubing and vac and it takes longer to do a 50% water change. So I get more cleaning time.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
I am sorry, you need a small hole at the top for the air to escape. Basically the air creates a circulation of the water inside the pipe and makes a venturi of sorts to pick up the debris.

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
hey thanks for the reply, i was just going to ask where the air would go:D. i'll give it a shot but i thought the same as far as how to catch the debris. saw a video kinda like the first but it didn't seem to work great not to mention a pain to use.

i'll be trying some of this tomorrow to check suction and efficiency by trial and error. i know it will work but the question is how to make it worth while. like i was saying i have no problem spending a bunch of time cleaning my tank(actually right now my parents) as i already am there.
it doesn't help that part of their tank gets little water flow and sunlight so the ?brown algae? grows quick so during w/c most vacing is done there:irked:

well thanks for your thoughts, and anyone else who could chime in

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
it looks like you are making this really complicated...

if you cut bottom off of a soda bottle and cram it into a piece of 1" pvc then use a few reducers and attach it to some 1/2" vinyl tubing you will have decent water flow but a big enough base so that you wont suck up tons of sand...

if you add a powerhead or 3 you could "blow" the poop around it will eventuially settle in only a few places insted of all over the place.. if you dont like the extra water flow you dont need to have them running all the time.. just turn them on an hour or so before you are ready to suck poo

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
quick update. started a prototype, working well but need to fine tune the trap. will post pics and try to get video so people can see what i'm doing.

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
This will not get you out of doing water changes- you still need to.

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
:wall:<deep breath, hold, release> no one take this the wrong way, i appreciate the input and know everyone has the fishes best interest in mind so i'll say this again.

I want to make this because of my tank dimensions and setup. It is too deep for me to easily clean up mulm, as well as issues with scaping. Therefore, when doing a w/c I can't clean the sand completely before I'm done. I want to be able to spend as much time as I deem neccasary to finish, without emptying the tank.

I do regular w/c, I clean or change my filter media as neccasary(in old tank water), I check water parameters, I try not to overfeed, I do not share my beer with my fish, even when they beg;).

:cool: just had to say that, i love input and by all means don't want to deter anyone from helping, but it does get a little frustrating when every time i mention this idea or anything like it i get some responses assuming i'm trying to do without w/c. i actually like cleaning my tank:WHOA:. to me it allows me some interaction with my fish(my angels usually try to taste me just to make sure i'm not hiding any food).

anyways, i'll update soon

Starting up

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
australia
Hi mate
I have had a vac as you have explained store brought. Was from a cheep asian producer. Worked good and consisted of just a air lift tube with a "T" turned 90deg with a sock on the end. The top of the air lift went above the water line and the heavy waist past to the sock. Worked well as i said but was too slow for me so got a small cheep canister and filled with floss and fit to python. but thats not what your talking of is it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store