Do hybrids have any impact?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
not a fan of any hybrid.. but chris hit the nail on the head imo why it is more accepted here. the fish arent inbred yet to the point you start seeing bad traits... but i agree with TK.. in a few years its going to be a mess.. imo then DNA anaylisis is really the only way to guarantee a purebred... but even then if theyre pure but inbred it wont matter... the best thing for the hobby is swapping pups imo among pure bred lines to preserve the genetic diversity. Hopefully ray breeders will learn from the mistake of cichlid breeders... sadly most wont and are in it just for the money but if only a few do.. like your high quality cichlid breeders do, its hard to find true pure bloods of certain species.. and if you do they arent cheap... evolution of domestication.

there is a fine line between line breeding for desirable traits, and inbreeding abominations.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
its a gamble with hybrids just because the adults are both black and white rays doesnt mean the pups will be black and white they may turn out brown with yellow or cream spots

with pure bloods you know what you will get with more or less spots depending on grade

Stateofficer1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Fairmont North Carolina
If you are looking for marbles my friend here breeds them and his female is pregnant right now. I think it is very reasonable to ask to.see pics of mom and dad anytime you purchase from a person directly not a collector of fish from the wild and some other times of course.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I see that you live in Utah, does your friend ship? If he does give me his contact info, I would take a look at his stock!!! Thanks

Stateofficer1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Fairmont North Carolina
its a gamble with hybrids just because the adults are both black and white rays doesnt mean the pups will be black and white they may turn out brown with yellow or cream spots

with pure bloods you know what you will get with more or less spots depending on grade
Maybe its the ol "excitment factor" that has more people breeding hybrid stingrays then.. It would start getting boring just breeding the same Leo time after time, but in the future as more and more "designer rays" come on the scene that might make the pure bred rays worth alot more!!! Especially if for whatever reason, the import and export of wild specimens is ever banned in the native countrys. Then noone could get fresh pure stock..

rooto56

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
usa
+1 and if your worried about it being a hybrid that will outgrow your tank chances are its going to be a medium size ray hybrid (if its a hybrid at all) as flowers and tigers are hard to breed and its relatively easy to identify a hybrid so chances are its a pure bred

darippa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
NYC
Amen Monsterminis! I'm sure alot of the eperienced hobbyist feel the same but they're just not speaking up.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I'm against mixed breeding. It's polluting the true gene pool, and poor record keeping is making it worse. Those out for pure profit by doing so have no respect for the animals themselves or preservation of them. If it keeps up, soon there will only be mixes in the trade, and all will start to look the same due to what will be a very limited gene pool. Even in the last 10 years you can see the issues already popping up. A documented pure line is much more valuable to the FW ray community as a whole compared to a little of wild patterns on a mixed pair.

We need to approach this as long term preservation instead of those looking for the next paycheck.

rooto56

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
usa
hey not all breeders are like that i say that trev has done a good job keeping track

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
You will have hard core opinions on both side of this one. Most people keep more than one type of ray in their tank. Not for money but the different looks and attitudes. Eventually these will breed. I keep hybrids and I have pures. I enjoy both and when they have pups yes I will sell them but it's not for a living and all money will prolly end up back in the tank.

I enjoy the looks of both and will continue to keep both.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
You will have hard core opinions on both side of this one. Most people keep more than one type of ray in their tank. Not for money but the different looks and attitudes. Eventually these will breed. I keep hybrids and I have pures. I enjoy both and when they have pups yes I will sell them but it's not for a living and all money will prolly end up back in the tank.

I enjoy the looks of both and will continue to keep both.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store