Do I have too much bio media?

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
yes it will still prime with water in the filter, but you will want to dump that water out as it will be extremely dirty, youll see. and what do you mean by maintaining the filter monthly but cleaning the media every week, thats the same thing, and whatever you do dont clean the bio media. xp3 only has 3 baskets, the xp4 has 4 baskets.

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
oh well i'll reprase it to "trays" not baskets..

i was saying maintaining the filter itself monthly...carry it to the sink and scrub the inside walls..
and weekly rinsing of the mechanical media with tap water.
so when i do my weekly stuff it will prime right(even WITH water in the filter)?...just making sure again

also, when maintaining the monthly filter...when i drain the filter, i'm afraid that i'll dry the bio media out and kill all the beneficial bacteria on it..
and whenever i rinse my mech. media with tapwater, i squeeze any of the water out and then soak it in tank water..just in case that the chlorine in the media won't kill the bio media above..
but i heard that there will be air bubbles trapped in the sponge if you squeeze it...causing the motor to get air which will damage the impeller...what can i do?

also the distance from the filter to the waterlevel MIGHT be 23" but is it not gonna work??

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
lol to much bio media. you never can have enough bio media you can't ever produce as much bio filtraition as mother nature can.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
jeaea-- ok i swear im not drunk but i am confused by your post that is 2 posts above this one..
ok you dont need to worry about air bubbles in the sponge--its not going to damage the impeller. you stated you rinse your media every week but you dont need to rinse it every week. i have canister filters and check them about once a month.. if the media inside is gunky, i take a bucket and fill it with TANK water... i rinse my media in that bucket... and put it back in the canister... VIOLA... done.
you shouldnt rinse your media in tap water or water out of the faucet... you will kill the bb you do have established.. use water straight from your tank. also, i NEVER scrub the insides of my canisters... the way i see it, they are coated with good bacteria.. however i will (every few months) dump the water out of the canisters, or drain the water out of the bottom (to remove that old crap) and replace that water with tank water...

water straight from the faucet never touches anything in my canisters--i learned that the hard way and killed a bunch of fish years ago when i overcleaned my 90 gallon and killed off all the good bacteria.

ok im done writing a novel haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store