Do male rays know when females are pregnant? Experienced only

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Every body is seeing different results.i didn't expect it to be the same for everybody's. I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it?

T1 ....86 is pretty hot man do you not agree?
I've only kept newer rays at temps that high for short periods,77 is where I keep mine at.
Do you purposely keep it that high so it's easier to drop temp and trigger breeding?
So Yah 2.5 years for breeding p14 from pups is Amazing
not hot at all the rays feed better and less chance of parasites

then when you do a water change you get the big drop down to 77 which simulates rain fail or a over night temp drop

the tank only took 4 hours to heat back up

in my tank now i have so many big pumps in the sump if i didnt have the drip the tank sits on 90 i control the temp with the drip

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
I have a leo/pearl male that bred at less than 1.5 years the first time. He also outpaced everyone in growth, probably hybrid vigor. He would breed only when a female was ready, but wouldn't leave her alone for days so I had to seperate every time or he probably would have killed them. There must be something that specific female gives off because he wouldn't try to breed with any others. Also as soon as I put her back after birth he was going after her again. I would usually give her a couple of weeks after birth to fatten up before reintroduction because I knew he would be relentless.

Once, I reintroduced the females back with him about 2 weeks after initial copulation and he didn't go after them at all.

Elasmofreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Michigan
B]For those who's rays breed at a younger age is you water soft or hard? We have fairly hard water and around 8 ph. I'm wondering if that has an effect on the development of rays given their natural habitat / water parameters.[/B] Most of us have large tanks (some with drip systems), do frequent water changes and feed tons. I have black rays 2 1/2 years old and my male's claspers started developing a few months ago.
Not trying to hijack the OP thread, I will start a new thread on this topic if you prefer. However, I would also like to know more about this. Can anyone shed a little more light on this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store