Do native fish smell worse than others?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Moved to setup and filtration.

What kind of filter do you have? Saying that its good for 50 gallons isn't an adequate answer.

Its likely not adequate filtration, either.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
An aqueon 50 gallon HOB

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That filter doesn't have an adequate supply of biological filtration for your setup. Most fish from Cyprinidae, to include your chubs, are extremely messy and produce tons of waste. Without adequate biological filtration to break down the waste, it will accumulate in the tank and both poison your fish and cause your water to stink.

I'd recommend getting an Aquaclear 110 for now. It would be something of overkill for a 20 gallon tank, but will give you sufficient filtration to upgrade to a 55 gallon tank or even a lightly stocked (by MFK standards anyway) 75 gallon tank.

I'd wager that if you get the AC110 and do several big water changes, once the tank cycles you'd never have an odor issue again.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Bio wheel will hold BB, yes.
But they are loud, filter cartridges need replacement, and is less powerful than the AC110.
Just up your filtration and water changes :)

Emperors are quite nice and reliable. I had used mine for 15 years prior to selling them.

The key to minimizing the cost is not to buy the replacement cartridges. Use a block of foam as mechanical first stage and fill the second slot with bio filter material.

All HOB suffer from water fall noise. If you don't like it, I suggest a canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store