do you add salt to your FH tank? if so how much and any cheap places to get it?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I don't add salt unless my fish need it curing from ick or some flesh wounds. Other than that I never add salt. Salt does wonders to treat fish but too much can kill them.

You can buy from petsmart and local pet shop has them. My father has salt water tanks so I just take his when needed and he gets it from a local shop.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
if you are just looking to add a small amount of salinity to the tank, water softener salt works well. Mortons water softener, 100% natural salt is what I use. buying aquarium salt is a silly waste of money. almost all hardware stores carry it. You can use the mortons solar salt as well, same stuff essentially, just make sure there are no additives in the kind you buy.

I keep a small amount of salinity in all my tanks, helps the fish breathe easier and depending on the amount can help mitigate some fungal/parasitic issues from springing up.

Reactions: AlphaTintu

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
That;s great information about the aquarium salt.. ,Josh.. Thank you!!

Morton Salt Solar Salt, 40 Lbs for just $4.64... I would go and buy that.. Great for saving on my pocket...I owe that lol!!
lol yup, 40 lbs for the price of a box of "aquarium salt"

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
Adding salt is no longer generally accepted to have any health benefits. 20 years ago, the general consensus was that some salt had positive health effects for most freshwater fish. However, at the same time, it was also generally accepted that the fewer water changes you could do, the better. Test kits weren't readily available at the time, so an algae breakout was the only indicator that there was something wrong with your water. Therefore, one would be safe to assume that most people operating this way would have nitrate levels that we would now consider excessive. Salt acts to protect fish from nitrate toxicity. No reason now to wonder why people noticed health benefits from salt, if that was the case.

*exceptions to this rule are fish from naturally saline environments, such as many livebearers.
*salt used in fish that are not naturally adapted can cause liver and kidney failure. Many plecostomas are very sensitive, and references going further back like Innes even reference salt causing liver failure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store