Do you think FRTs will be for sale soon?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Do you guys think that FRTs will ever come back on the market? In the US, obviously. They are only listed as vulnerable by the IUCN

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The 3 countries where FRTs are native have banned all trade in live FRTs. The US supports their decision and the change in CITES status and has banned imports of the species.
Don't count on the US ban being lifted until after any of the 3 countries lifts their ban and CITES upgrades the appendix classification to something the Endangered Species Act doesn't blanket.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
The 3 countries where FRTs are native have banned all trade in live FRTs. The US supports their decision and the change in CITES status and has banned imports of the species.
Don't count on the US ban being lifted until after any of the 3 countries lifts their ban and CITES upgrades the appendix classification to something the Endangered Species Act doesn't blanket.
So, in short, not any time soon I guess?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Wow, that's insane. We've just gotta get them over here now...

Why in the hell would nobody want them? They're pretty much freshwater sea turtles. That's insane

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good point. That sucks though that we can't get them over in the states when people in SE asia can get them for the price of a painted turtle or a bigger RES.
They do come up for sale once and a while,you just have keep a look out and have a pile of money put aside for one.Someone offered me one last summer but it was too rich for my blood.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
They do come up for sale once and a while,you just have keep a look out and have a pile of money put aside for one.Someone offered me one last summer but it was too rich for my blood.
Yeah, although there are no publicly-known breeders in the US and the supply is only going to last until the ones in the US are all dead, might be 10 years, might be 15, maybe even 25 or 30. Just gotta hope the ban gets lifted soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store