Documentation of My 1st Piranha fry experience! - pics/vids/comments

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
Well guys...COMPLETE INSANITY has broken out in my tank... it appears i have not one but THREE pairs.

I came home from work to find 500+ eggs tucked away in the corner. (See below) and also a pair on the opposite end doing a "dry run" of the ritual. AND a 3rd pair who were making a nest (now doing a "dry run" as i type this) only inches away from the previous egg filled nest!
uploadfromtaptalk1392138346949.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392138372222.jpg

I tried to get a little video.
At the start you see a pair getting hot n heavy before being interrupted...then i pan over and you'll see a pair fanning their eggs in the corner. And then you'll see a pair on the other side of the skull making a nest (now being active in the nest)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dleg8ZvVVjs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Its crazy! I feel like my tank has 10%water and 90% love juices hahah

deuxe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2013
Brooklyn
Well guys...COMPLETE INSANITY has broken out in my tank... it appears i have not one but THREE pairs.

I came home from work to find 500+ eggs tucked away in the corner. (See below) and also a pair on the opposite end doing a "dry run" of the ritual. AND a 3rd pair who were making a nest (now doing a "dry run" as i type this) only inches away from the previous egg filled nest!
View attachment 989044
View attachment 989045

I tried to get a little video.
At the start you see a pair getting hot n heavy before being interrupted...then i pan over and you'll see a pair fanning their eggs in the corner. And then you'll see a pair on the other side of the skull making a nest (now being active in the nest)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dleg8ZvVVjs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Its crazy! I feel like my tank has 10%water and 90% love juices hahah
The ocean if you think about it is full of whale love juices

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
5 weeks today!
uploadfromtaptalk1392430283387.jpg

This big guy is still blowing my mind!
Here he is up top
uploadfromtaptalk1392430346197.jpg
And here is an average size fry in the same spot for comparison.
uploadfromtaptalk1392430430903.jpg

Isnt that weird?! How did this ONE get 5times bigger than the rest?!

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
Holy moly. That's a huge size difference. Has he eaten any of his brothers?

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Wow that's a big difference what cuties

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
They look like piranhas now! Congrats!

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
Holy moly. That's a huge size difference. Has he eaten any of his brothers?

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I haven't witnessed him eating any other fry but theres no telling what goes on after lights out.
Wow that's a big difference what cuties
Right?! weird... so keyyyuuuute! haha
They look like piranhas now! Congrats!
THANK YOU! didnt think we'd get this far! going better than expected.

I wasn't going to keep any but if that big guy continues to grow at an accelerated pace i may throw him in my extra 55gallon n see how he grows out. may be a freak of nature xD

also a quick update on the new eggs in the 120gallon...the pleco made a quick meal out of most of them. probably 50-100survived and hatched...so now i have some wigglers creepin around the gravel. i haven't decided what to do with them yet. if i leave them in the big tank they will probably die in the gravel. I may vac them out and put.them in the 10gallon fry tank for tiny "feeders" for my bigger fry. save me some money from food haha

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
I would so keep the big one. I would call him gigantor lol!! Put a divider in the fry tank :)

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
^My 6yr old son has been wanting a tank in his room. We were gonna get him a 15gallon 'glo-tank' to learn with but maybe we'll skip that and ill set up the 55gallon n put "gigantor" n a few others in to grow out :)

Anyway, just cleaned my main tank... the wigglers in there were starting to expire so i vacced about 300live ones out n put em in with my 5week old fry. There's probably 100left..they went crazy for em. I wish i could grow them all out but id never find homes for thousands and thousands of RBP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store