Does anyone have a freshwater refugium?

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
I have a 40 gallon breeder that was built into a refugium for a salt water tank. I'm thinking I could use the extra tank volume a sump would add (two stingrays in a 120 wide) but a refugium could be even better since I can put plants in it...does anyone have one or suggestions on what to do with one? Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Elasmofreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Michigan
I haven't done this personaly with a fw tank, however I know people who have done this with great success. Get some freshwater clams for it. Talk about amazing biological filtration!

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I am experimenting with this. I have Swords, Vals, and java moss going with some ghost shrimp to clean up any detritus. I am running an 18 watt 6700k bulb for around 8-10 hours a day. The java moss seems to be growing very well and the swords and vals are doing ok but not great.

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
I am experimenting with this. I have Swords, Vals, and java moss going with some ghost shrimp to clean up any detritus. I am running an 18 watt 6700k bulb for around 8-10 hours a day. The java moss seems to be growing very well and the swords and vals are doing ok but not great.
It seems that while you could keep larger plants like swords in a refugium, all of the oxygenation provided isn't that great for growth.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Stem plants soak up nitrates... Or what I was thinking of doing on my 120 is grow pothos in the sump, or other submergents. If your looking at low lights crypts are good options. I have some in clay pots in my abas tank that do well and help with the nitrates.

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
Im building a 220 with a fw refugium (55 gal with 2 dbl bright leds) what do you mean the oxiginization provided isnt great for growth?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Elasmofreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Michigan
What about using a ball of plants like Hornwort, and or Anacharis? They will suck up the nitrates/phosphate extremely fast, and grow very quickly. Would be the same concept as using chaeto in a sw fuge. Plus you can trade your cuttings in to your lfs for fish food. :)

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
Well, you have water being brought in (maybe splashing), then flowing over a wall, then flowing over another wall, I'm thinking that will oxygenate the water, thereby having less co2 which plants need (some more than others). You'll notice in heavily planned tanks that there is little current, and little to no agitation on the surface because they want the co2.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Well, you have water being brought in (maybe splashing), then flowing over a wall, then flowing over another wall, I'm thinking that will oxygenate the water, thereby having less co2 which plants need (some more than others). You'll notice in heavily planned tanks that there is little current, and little to no agitation on the surface because they want the co2.
^
surface agitation causes co2 to be removed from the water column into the air, which the plants need to grow. too much agitation/bubbles (from entering the sump, splashing over the walls, etc) will definitely remove a fair amount of co2. it's possible to do, for sure, but might be trial and error with which plants to go with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store